Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Reading What's Available

I have always loved to read. When I was an eager reader in elementary school, I selected books based on thickness to insure that they would last as long as possible.

When I was in junior high and high school, I did some traveling with my grandparents. They usually took a cross-country road trip in their Silver Streak luxury trailer that lasted from June until October. My sister and I would meet them en route for two to three weeks.

What's odd is that I don't remember taking a stack of books with me. Now when I go on vacation, taking just the right books with me is critical--the right mix of fiction and non-fiction, light and heavy reading, and the right number of pages to last throughout my trip, yet not so many that I am carrying unnecessary weight.

I know that I did read, because as we drove, I remember being chastised by my grandfather to "Get your nose out of that book! You can read at home! This is God's country--open your eyes and look around!"

To some extent, I read what my grandmother was reading, or what was in the trailer. I remember reading Joni Eareckson Tada's autobiography, the Janette Oke Love Came Softly series, alongside celebrity biographies on Princess Di and Jackie O.

We still share some books, but it's now more often I who am sharing them with her. I introduced her to the Mitford series, and later found Phillip Gulley's Harmony series when she wanted something similar.

Author Tina Ann Forkner's guest column at 5 Minutes for Books, My Grandma Taught Me to Love Books, inspired these thoughts. I know that I recently said that the Books on Screen is one of my favorite features over there, and it is, but I am enjoying the regular On Reading feature as well.

7 comments:

heather said...

On our family vacations, we loaded the minivan with cartons full of books--we're all readers.

Beck said...

We're all bookish at my place... Aaaack, people who told me to "get my nose out of a book" when I was a kid! Pretty much the most annoying thing ever, although I usually WAS missing something good.

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

No one has ever had to tell me to get my nose out of a book in the car. I get so sick when I read in the car! This has always made me so sad because I feel I am wasting valuable reading time!

Trish (wheresthebox) said...

Oh my goodness, packing the right books for a trip is even more important than what clothes I am taking!

Katrina said...

Ah yes, the challenge of packing the perfect books for a trip. I took four books on a two-day trip earlier this month. Something is clearly wrong with me.

Like Lauren, though, I (sadly) can't read in the car. Audio books on the iPod are a good alternative though.

Dianne said...

I'm pretty much the same way - take plenty to read when I go away. Partly because I don't know what kind of mood I'll be in and I don't want my my reading to be restricted! I did end up buying a few books on vacation this summer, even though I brought plenty with me. I just wasn't in the mood for what I brought. (Geez, I just realized that's about when I quite my unfinished work blog! but if you look in my profile, there's some junk up at another site!)

Marianne Thomas said...

I can remember curling up with a science book (!) when I was around seven or eight and reading about sedimentary rock formations.

It was summertime. I'd read through just about everything else on my bookshelf (I had lots of books my dad got for free from an ongoing recycling procject my brothers did with Boy Scouts)and I must have read through my library stash, too.

I picked up a fifth grade science book (another recycling find) and started reading.

I'm so wired for words that I just have to read something, anything, everyday.