Thursday, July 17, 2008

Traveling Bookstores

I have seen Booking Through Thursday around a time or two. I thought it would be a great weekly meme to feature on 5 Minutes for Books (Melissa posted her response over there today).

However, these questions from today are near and dear to my heart, so I thought I'd post my own responses here as well:

Do you have something to say about bookstores and vacations? Do you have favorite bookstores that you only get to visit on a trip? When/Where are they?


We lived in Portland, Oregon for three years, and I loved taking my daughter to Powell's Books in her stroller and just wandering the aisles looking for unexpected discoveries. They buy used books, so I'd sell a few back, and then buy one. We haven't been back to the city since we moved eight years ago, but I definitely want to visit, and if I do, The City of Books is definitely on my list of must-sees. That baby in the stroller is now a bona fide booklover herself, so I know she'd be thrilled by the shelves and shelves of books.

When we go back home to Houston to visit family, we always leave room in our suitcases for books. We developed a love of Half-Price Books while we were there, and here in Connecticut, we have no such options.

However, when we go into New York City, we often include the Strand bookstore in Union Square on our agenda.

I don't usually buy books on vacation (above stores notwithstanding), but if we're walking a main street that we've discovered on a Saturday drive, or if we're touring a city, I will certainly peek into a bookstore and browse.

I can't really imagine a better way to spend a day.

If you'd like to play, you can link up.

4 comments:

Smilingsal said...

You are giving your children a wonderful gift: the love of reading.

Terri said...

I do live in Portland and get to Powell's pretty regularly. The one on Hawthorne is just a few blocks away from our house and the main store is just ten or so blocks from where I work. I'll be taking some out of town guests there this weekend, which is always fun!

Katrina said...

I had to laugh on our last trip. We had a little time between dinner and bed to fill, so what did we do? We stopped at a Borders. It's not like we don't have Borders at home... we just can't pass up a trip to the bookstore when we have some extra time!

Lisa writes... said...

For a small town girl like me, with nary a bookstore unless you count Wal Mart (which I do not), a store like Half Price books or Powells sounds divine!