Thursday, July 31, 2008

Worlds Are Colliding

I signed up on Facebook back in March or April. I didn't do much with it. I collected a few friends, wrote on a few walls, and got a few messages on mine.

Then my best friend from high school joined up, friended me, and the late 80's have come back to me in a rush.

I've connected with people whom I haven't thought about in years, and most of whom I haven't seen since shortly after college during the wedding rounds.

It's a bit eerie.

It's not like I left the hallowed halls of Dulles High School twenty years ago (twenty years ago!) with a staunch vow to never return or have anything to do with that life. I am in regular touch with two friends, and in touch through friends of friends or parents or siblings with a few others. I think that's a pretty good track record

But to suddenly see pictures of them (twenty years older), to find out where they are living, to see pictures of their pets and families--I'm not quite sure how to process it.

I have to admit that until now I wasn't really sure what Facebook could do for me. I friended people that I see every week, some family members, some college friends, some internet buddies, and people from my previous hometown. I couldn't get into it. But now I guess I get it. Seeing all of the people who my old friend (she's old, not me) uncovered, caused me to root out even more of connections. It's pretty cool, I guess.

As long as I don't wake up with toilet paper streaming from my trees tomorrow morning, I might enjoy this little trip down memory lane. And maybe I'll update my Facebook page more than once every 6 weeks. In fact, I've already updated it three times in the last two days. I am so hip.


You will go up ten points in my estimation if you can identify the source of the title.

10 comments:

Amy said...

Facebook is addicting, I've been saying that! We just had a mini high school reunion, my husband went to a sleepaway camp reunion and I'm being stalked bya girl I was friends with in high school and haven't spoken to in YEARS. But seriously, it's fun. And if you like games, play word twist - play me :)

Mary said...

Seinfeld. And what was that about ME being old?? You'll hit 40 just nine months after I do, sister! Let's get together and count gray hairs. Or better yet, just get together. O2.

Adventures In Babywearing said...

I often feel like I'm missing something when it comes to Facebook. I don't really get it yet and find it not very user friendly. Am I the only one??

Steph

heather said...

Dang. Mary got it first.
I suppose I should sign up for Facebook. There goes another chunk of my day.

hookembevo said...

If you didn't live so far away, I would totally wrap your house tonight.. Stew

twithhoney said...

I haven't jumped on the facebook bandwagon because, quite frankly most of the people from my past that I would want to reconnect with I've already managed to reconnect with. (Does that make sense to you?) There are definitely some of my classmates that I'd be very content to never see or hear from ever again. So as curious as I am I stay away from Facebook. Blogging under a pseudonym is good enough for me.

Trish said...

I have done a little on Facebook and was just getting used to it when they changed the whole navigation/profile around on me!

I kept to myself a lot in both high school and college, but there were a few people it was neat to connect with again.

Marianne Thomas said...

Umm...Castanza?

Where do I go to collect my 10 points?

;)

Thanks for dropping in at my webjoint; I've read your comments over at WhatAboutMom? but I'm so lame at making the social rounds, blogging-wise.

Nice to meetcha!

Katrina said...

There is only ONE person from my high school class on Facebook. Granted, it was a small class (26), but I thought they'd be a little more hip. Oh well. I've gotten in touch with some friends from college and it's also a good way to keep in touch with far-flung family members.

Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) said...

I haven't done Facebook - I totally wish that I had jumped on the bandwagon, but I am always too busy to do it..