Friday, August 22, 2008

The Hike

A picture doesn't do justice to the brilliant colors of the mushrooms that we've seen in Maine on our hikes: berry red, saffron yellow, moss green, eggshell white, coral, eggplant purple. We never knew that such mushrooms existed, so each one was an exciting discovery. The sizes varied as well. "I found a teeny orange mushroom!" Amanda would alert her little brother. "I see a giant red one," Kyle would tell us.

Pictures can't capture the sounds: the quiet as I fall behind (or take an opportunity to get ahead while they are enjoying the view), the rustling of the leaves, the tapping of the tree branches as they sway in the wind far above our heads, the jubilation of a sometimes-moody teen exclaiming, "This is the best day ever!" as she navigates a difficult patch of trail or captures an expansive view with a snap of my camera.

The photos don't convey the feelings: the warmth of the sunshine and the brisk of the breeze, the shaking of my quadriceps as I try to make a controlled descent after miles of hiking up.

A picture doesn't transmit the facts: a 3.3 mile hike made by a family of four (with the youngest being carried only on the very steep ascents or descents), a time of 2 hours and 20 minutes (beating the estimated time given of 2 and a half hours) at Mt. Will, Maine.

7 comments:

heather said...

The fairies must have been remodeling lately, painting their mushroom homes all those colors in preparation for your visit.
I wonder if they had any paint fights?

dad said...

WOW!!!
We would enjoy that type of hike. Maybe we will get there someday.
LOVE

Carrie said...

I'm duly impressed! Sounds like you are having a wonderful vacation!

Katrina said...

Sounds wonderful! We spent all of yesterday morning walking around a historic battlefield area. It hit the spot for the two history buffs I live with.

Susanne said...

What beautiful views. Looks like the perfect family outing!

Amydeanne said...

wow! looks like an amazing trip!

Thanks for letting me know about the DVD's! i'm so excited

Musings of a Housewife said...

So fun! Hope you're having better weather than I did. :-)