Friday, August 01, 2008

My Red Carpet Experience


Yesterday was quite a day. Quite a fun day playing "press" for 5 Minutes for Mom.

A few weeks ago I got an invitation to the New York City premiere of Fly Me to the Moon. It's a nice family-friendly movie about the early days of the space program, specifically the voyage that landed two astronauts on the moon. I verified that it was okay to bring children as my guests, and was given an enthusiastic yes on that. I debated about taking Kyle or just enjoying the day out with Amanda. I knew that he would enjoy the movie (the first animated movie created for 3-D), but I thought that Amanda and I might enjoy "the experience" more if we weren't looking after him.

"The experience" included a spot on the red carpet, beginning at 4:00 pm with the movie starting at 5:00 (or so). Kelly Ripa, who voices one of the main characters, and Buzz Aldrin, who plays himself, were scheduled to walk the red carpet.

Then last week I got yet another awesome invitation for a luncheon on that same day (I wrote a bit about that HERE, but more information sharing to come on 5 Minutes for Mom next week), and childcare was offered. So instead of paying a babysitter for Kyle all day long, I was convinced to bring him along.

This was what I feared about bringing him:

There was a lot of waiting, and that red rope doesn't really hold a four-year-old in.

We lined up at the red carpet shortly before 4:00 pm. The paparazzi were already there, jostling for the best spot in the ten-foot span that was reserved for them. They were a bit annoying, due to that behavior (seriously, one of them tattled to the coordinator, "Um, miss, can you come here? This guy is not press, and he's being very unpleasant." "I am too press, and he's being a jerk."). Journalists (such as myself--ha!), are given a bit better treatment. We were down at the end, and a few even got taken inside for a better interview spot. They told us that afternoon that Kelly wouldn't be stopping to talk, but Buzz Aldrin would be doing interviews.

When Kelly arrived, I hoisted Kyle up on my hip so he wouldn't escape that he could see. The photographers then proceeded to scream, yell, wave, whistle: "Kelly! Over here! Look at me! Kelly! Turn around! Over here!" It was loud. It was annoying. Amanda got some great shots, being able to navigate around people who were sort of in front of me:

Kelly Ripa and husband Mark Consuelos


Now this is where the annoying paparazzi worked in my favor. Kyle, on my hip, was sort of burrowing into me. The mom in Kelly kicked in as a small frown crossed her face as she waved right at him. I had the camera back at this point, but I missed the wave.

As she walked off the red carpet to go into the theater, she came right over to Kyle and cupped his face saying, "I know--it's really loud, isn't it?"


This is where my crack-research proved helpful. I had watched Regis and Kelly that morning, hoping for a mention of the event, and to show Amanda who Kelly Ripa was. Well, Kelly did mention it in host chat, telling Regis that she was unsure about what to wear, since it was in the afternoon and it was a kids' movie (you can watch the host chat video on the site). So, as she was coddling my cute son, I said, "You picked the right thing to wear--you look great" or something equally brilliant. She smiled and said "thanks." I'm hoping that he'll get a mention in host chat on the show today if she reports on the event. She didn't stay for the movie and there wasn't a big party, so I'm not sure that there's much else to report (updated: she didn't say a word about it, but she was wearing her fabulous dress).

By the time she left, it was 4:15 or so, and we had already been waiting for over twenty minutes. I heard the PR people saying that Buzz Aldrin was running late, and by the time he came through and was finished with his interviews, the movie would probably be getting underway. We (a writer from Babble.com who had her two daughters with her and another journalist who just wanted to see the movie) decided that we should probably go inside and get our seats instead of waiting. As it turns out, Buzz passed us upstairs on his way down to the red carpet as we were waiting to get into the theater.

Amanda was impressed with the extra-special treatment. As we walked into the theater, we were each handed a large bottled water and a bag of popcorn. We donned our glasses and got ready to enjoy the show.


I'll do a full movie review later on 5 Minutes for Mom. It has already been playing in some countries, but releases on August 15 in the U.S. and Canada.

21 comments:

Dad said...

WOW!!!
Even Amanda and Kyle got to enjoy your perks. Had to be fun. We are so proud of you.

Adventures In Babywearing said...

Oh that is so awesome!!

Steph

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

How exciting! I can't wait to hear about the movie.

Kimberly/Mom in the City said...

I'm glad that you and your family enjoyed the movie!

Katrina said...

Totally cool! I love that Kelly stopped to talk to Kyle (and that you had the presence of mind to compliment her -- good job!). I didn't see the show today -- did Kyle get a mention?

Carrie said...

That's AMAZING!!!! What a fun thing for you to get to do with Amanda and Kyle. Totally awesome. They have one pretty cool mom. ;)

Elizabeth said...

That is so much fun! My 9-year old daughter is totally impressed that Amanda got to go to the big city and have such a fun experience. I am so impressed that you got so close to Kelly Ripa. I think she's great! What a fun time for you all.

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

How fun! Rubbing elbows with the rich and famous. = )

Trish said...

Wow, what a great experience! Glad it went so well. :)

Jo-Lynne (Musings of a Housewife) said...

JEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is SO COOL!! I'm so excited for you. What a fun day.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer!!! I am so jealous!!! I don't believe it!!!! I hear her talking that morning too. If I come back to see you we are going to see Regis and Kelly because she is our age and you got me hooked on the show in college!!

Martha

Janice said...

That is such a great story! So glad the kids had such a good time. :) I love that pic of Kyle. LOL

Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) said...

oops - sorry - that was me commenting - I just wasn't logged into the correct google account.

Amy said...

That's so cool. Isn't being considered press awesome??

Org Junkie said...

I am soooo totally jealous of you right now :)

My dream is to see Regis and Kelly Live one day.

casual friday everyday said...

What a fabulous experience!

:--) Nell

Channah said...

That's so neat! And you're right - that was exactly the right dress for her to wear!

Lani ~ The Wooden Porch said...

I've always like Kelly. How fun you got to meet her in person!

Amy said...

How fun!! You are definitely more than press now though, you are a CELEBRITY :)

Sheila said...

How fun! I saw the preview for that movie and it looks like a winner.

naida said...

wow!! that is very cool.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/