Saturday, August 02, 2008

Part Two of the Cool New York Press Trip

Well, technically since it came first, it's part one, right? But I'm writing about it second, so it's part two.

Stop and Shop/Giant invited me to a luncheon at Sarabeth's restaurant, which is one of my favorite brunch spots in NYC. Her scones and jams are delicious. I found out on Thursday that her lunch is absolutely fantastic too. We had a choice of soup or salad (I chose the Caesar, although the creamy tomato soup was temping), then a choice of entrees (a hearty chicken salad or penne pasta with spinach, pinenuts, and garlic, which I had), and a choice of desserts. For some reason, we were all completely full, but managed to eat the berry tart with coffee ice cream or a delicious creamy cheesecake (my choice).

Sarabeth spoke to us, while she actually made chocolate chip cookies for us. She encouraged us to make sure we were cooking with our children--teaching them about cooking and food. She sent us home with her recipe, which got a thumbs up from my husband after he sampled the to-go bag. Because she was talking about kids in the kitchen, after the event I introduced her to my little chefs. Kyle didn't want to be in the picture, but I see him in the mirror. Foiled!



This was such a first-class event. We were pampered with a great lunch and hearing from the chef owner as well as a fun and useful swag bag, and we were fed--beyond the food we were given some really useful information presented in an interesting way (which I will be sharing in detail on 5 Minutes for Mom in the next week). They thought of everything, including offering childcare (which I took them up on since I already had planned to bring my children to the kid-friendly event).

Another fun thing is that I got to meet Kimberly, of Mom in the City*, who has recently started reading the blog (or at least recently started commenting, I think). I didn't think to snap a picture with her, but it was interesting to learn that she's also a Southern girl who is sold out to the City life. I don't live in the city, but I sure love being nearby.

The kids and I enjoyed a long day of lunching, book store browsing, and street market shopping in Union square, and then of course the movie premiere. What fun!

A big cyber-thanks to Jo-Lynne, at Musings of a Housewife, whose idea I totally stole: cute shoes for the events (in my case a wedge shoe with a peep toe, probably my only cute and trendy pair of shoes), and flip flops for walking around. She came up with this plan when she attended her cool Kyra Sedgewick event, and I am so thankful for the idea (a funny thing I noticed is that she also met Kimberly at this event--ha!).

____________

*Kimberly has the opportunity to ask Dr. Michael Thompson, author of several books on raising boys, some questions. Click over to her post, and find out more about his books, and leave a question for her to pass on.

5 comments:

Kimberly/Mom in the City said...

It was great to meet you and your adorable kids at this event (and thanks again for the referral)! I'll be sure to send you the other pix when I get them.

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

What a fun day for all of you!

Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) said...

sooo glad that you guys are enjoying such great perks. :)

Vivian said...

Thanks for sharing your celebrity events! Your kids must have loved them!

Katrina said...

Your hair looks great!

And I love seeing little Kyle in the mirror. Ha!