Sunday, September 07, 2008

9/7/98

Ten years ago today, in Portland Oregon, Amanda was born.

I remember looking at her perfectly plump rosy cheeks, thinking "That's what I've been carrying all these months? Welcome, Baby."

She arrived two weeks early, and seemed to sleep for most of those first two weeks. She continues to be a good sleeper, and also to know when she needs to take a step away, even though she's happy to be at the center of the action as well.

I am proud of the young woman she's becoming: friendly, self-confident, creative, independent, enthusiastic.

She marches to the beat of her own drummer. That will not always be the easiest path for her, but if she stays true, I believe that she will be happy and well-adjusted and self-aware.

She reminds me a bit of myself. Being popular was never my primary goal. I wanted to be liked, but I didn't care by how many necessarily.

She's like me, but I'm also reminded frequently that she's not me. She has strengths that I didn't have, and I'm sure she has weaknesses that I didn't struggle with (as well as unfortunately some that I did).

Happy Birthday to my first-born daughter: my tween -- no longer a completely dependent child, but not quite yet that woman that I hope and pray will become a lifelong friend.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

Happy Birthday to Amanda! (What a great state to be born in.) ;)

Katherine@Raising Five said...

Happy Birthday Amanda! Ten is such a great year - so strong and capable, yet without the cares of the teen years (aka BOYS!!). So proud of you - you're doing a great job with her, Jennifer.

Love,
Katherine

Katrina said...

Happy Birthday, Amanda! Ten years is such a big milestone!

Sweet post, Jennifer. Hard to believe we've been parents for a decade, but it's so exciting to see these kids growing up and becoming who they were created to be.

Adventures In Babywearing said...

This was a really sweet post to her. I can only imagine ten years from now what I'll have to say to my own daughter! Happy Birthday to your little girl! : )

Steph

heather said...

Happy (late) birthday! May your teenage years be true.
(I have no idea what that means.)

Elizabeth said...

Such a sweet post! I don't know how I'm going to handle it when my baby girl turns ten next month. Happy Birthday Amanda!