Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do you See?

When I think of a Classic Children's picture book, Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin, Jr. and Eric Carle comes to mind. This is the book that I purchase for new moms. This is the book that Amanda loved and that Kyle equally enjoyed five years later. This is the book that I have memorized. This is the book that I know I will be sharing with my grandchildren.

There's a new audiobook version of this book (which I reviewed HERE on 5 Minutes for Mom). It's a pretty nice recording (and may have become my new first baby gift, bundled with a few of the board books), but what makes it worth the listen is the interview with Eric Carle. In it, he talks about how he and Bill Martin, Jr. came to collaborate on this first book, and how Bill Martin's influence helped him to write his own wonderful children's books later.



There are so many things I love about this book:
  • The format -- I always buy the board book version to encourage toddlers to "read" it on their own. It's so simple and rhythmic that they soon can "read" it to themselves.
  • The art -- I love Eric Carle's bright colors and artistic collage style. It doesn't get old upon repeated readings (and like I said, I would know).
  • The concept -- animals and colors are introduced to young children in an easy way.


Find more picture book recommendations at 5 Minutes for Books' Children's Classics, Picture Book edition.

13 comments:

Tameka said...

My son knows this entire book by heart! He loves this one as well!! :-)

stephanie said...

We just checked this one out at the library for the first time and the girls love it. May need to find an excuse to add our own copy to the shelves. :)

heather said...

The first childhood books that pop into my head: the Corduroy bear books and Ann and Andy's Please and Thank You (which I knew by memory).
I don't think I grew up with this one, although I've since encountered it, and it is beautiful.

Susanne said...

My kids loved this book when they were little as do the dayhome kids now. It is a regular addition to our library take outs. The audio version would be fun for them for sure!

I've tagged you for a meme posting up in a bit.

Bluestocking said...

I haven't heard of this one.

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

Great post! If you have a Kohl's store near you, they have this book as well as some of the other like it for $5 right now as part of their "Kohl's Cares for Kids" series (hardback version)!

Carrie said...

We've never read this one so we'll have to check it out!

Corinne said...

Excellent choice! A fave of both my kids when they were toddlers!

Beth@Sportsmomma said...

I love Eric Carle books. I missed it when the boys got too old to read them. Once when I was subbing for a 5th grade class they were making their own Eric Carle style books- the collage art that they created was amazing!!

MommySecrets said...

My kids love this book! I only discovered it this summer (which is shocking, as much as I love children's books!) - it's a super-cute read!

Katrina said...

We love this one too, and Logan thoroughly enjoys naming all the animals as we turn the pages. We also have the Polar Bear and Panda Bear books, but somehow Brown Bear remains his favorite of the three.

Jen E said...

I don't know how I've avoided it, but I somehow have managed to never pick this one up. I just added it to my son's wish list on amazon so we can remedy that. :)

Omie said...

This is one of my daughter's favorites books to read to her baby brother - and he listens with rapt attention.