Monday, September 29, 2008

Four and Eighty-Eight



My grandmother Mimi was visiting us last week. She flew here all by herself (which worried me a bit, to be honest), but she got here just fine. I wouldn't trade anything for the times that I've spent with her here or at her house.

That said, throughout the week I was forever comparing these two characters (in a mostly tongue-in-cheek fashion).

How are my four-year-old son and my eighty-eight-year-old grandmother similar? Let me count the ways:

  1. A lot changes in nine months. You know how when your kids visit relatives and they can't believe how much they've changed in that amount of the time. Sadly, the same held true for Mimi. I saw her nine months ago at her house, and she even visited us here two years ago, but things have changed.


  2. I don't really trust either of them to be alone. Sure, Mimi lives alone, but that's in her own house with no stairs and no dogs or children underfoot. Just like I'm more careful to watch my friends' children if I'm babysitting, I felt nervously responsible for Mimi at all times.


  3. Taking either of them with me on errands adds time and/or stress to the trip. It's hard enough to zip in and out of the grocery store with Kyle at my side, but having a slow octogenarian along makes it almost impossible.


  4. Along those lines: I never know what (or how loud) either of them might say about or to a stranger who crosses our path.


  5. They both ask me questions to which I do not know the answers. And if I don't answer, it's likely that the question will be asked again the next hour or next day.


  6. They each surprise me at things that they remember, that I think that they would have forgotten, or by forgetting things that I think that they should remember.


  7. They both make me laugh and are willing to laugh at themselves as well.


8 comments:

Katrina said...

It's great that you had this time with her, and it's fantastic that the kids were able to enjoy her visit! I love her playful spirit -- the picture of Mimi & Kyle as farm animals is priceless. :)

heather said...

#4 made me laugh. And the pic of the cow and bird!

Adventures In Babywearing said...

This was great! I am actually working on a post about my grandfather today!

Steph

Corinne said...

How precious! I'd give anything for my grandma to have known my kids. She died when I was pregnant with my first. What great memories your kids will have.

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

I was just thinking about my paternal grandma last night. I realized she had the same kid combination (boy, boy, girl, boy) that I'm having in about the same number of years (though she went on to have 3 more kids and that remains to be seen for me). It made me want to sit and talk with her about mothering that many kids, especially boys!

Kathie said...

How wonderful that Mimi got to visit. It will be a special time to cherish for years to come.
Blessings from Costa Rica

Dad said...

Well said. Brought back wonderful memories of a truly unique person (anyone who can accept and love a former son-in-law like she did has to be OK).
LOVE to all

Anonymous said...

I love that my kids get to spend time with Steve's grandparents!! I know that they can change so quickly. I hope your kids appreciated having her stay as much as you did!
martha