Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hurricanes

Houston has been hit by Hurricane Ike. They keep saying it's the worst, since Hurricane Alicia in 1983. I remember Alicia, and it's hard for me to believe it was twenty-five years ago.

My mom and I were home alone. My stepfather must have been out of town on business, and my sister was traveling with my grandparents. We lost power, we watched our streets flood, we tried to nurse a baby bird back to health that was blown up on our front porch -- keeping him in a shoebox in the bathroom and feeding him oatmeal through at eyedropper.

The bird didn't make it, but we were fine.

It sounds like the city of Houston will be fine, too.

Three years ago, the residents of New Orleans were still wondering when they could return to their homes after Hurricane Katrina. Ian McNulty wrote a wonderful memoir called A Season of Night: New Orleans Life after Katrina. You can read my review today at 5 Minutes for Books.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK...just emailed you about this! We got a good amount of rain which is more than I can ever remember from any hurricane because we are so far away.
Martha

Katrina said...

Some remnants of Ike came far enough north to cause wind damage here and knock our power out last night. I can't imagine being in the midst of it. We always joke that one of our goals is to live in a place with no earthquakes, tornadoes, or hurricanes. We're not fans of living in the middle of disasters.