Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Kids' Picks


Amanda and Kyle and I are happy to be participating in the first monthly Kids' Picks carnival from 5 Minutes for Books.

I do enjoy reading about the books that my fellow bloggers are reading -- for example Katrina's Fall and Spring Challenges always add to my to-be-read list -- but honestly, it's books for Amanda that really interest me most.

If someone posts a book that their nine- to twelve-year-old child has enjoyed (or they have read as an adult and enjoyed), I am almost always sure to pick it up for her, and she almost always loves it.

So I'd like to share a book that my fifth-grader Amanda and I discovered this month:

Stowaway by Karen Hesse


We were at the library earlier this month, and this book was set out -- book side out, not in the shelf spine out (I love that the librarians highlight books like this for those of us who are highly suggestible). I thought it looked interesting, so I handed it to her, and to my surprise, she put it in her pile.

Once she started reading it, it held her pretty captive, so it seems that this one falls into the "Kid tested, mother approved" category. I love for Amanda to use her love of reading to also learn a bit about history as well, so I am always happy for her to read historical-fiction.

Amazon says this about the book: Newbery Medal-winning Karen Hesse's story is based on actual Endeavour stowaway Nicholas Young, about whom little is known. Using the real 1768 diaries of Captain Cook and shipboard naturalist Joseph Banks, Hesse has changed Young from a forgotten footnote into a living, breathing person with red hair and a penchant for pork chops. So authentic you can feel the sea spray, this fine fictionalized diary is a nautical treasure for landlubbers young and old.



I've posted about four-year-old Kyle's love of Thomas before, but I wouldn't want to leave him out. Yes, he loves Thomas. This month, I suggested to him that we read his Complete Collection in order, because at bedtime he always spends time figuring out which story he wants to read by paging through the book, and I got impatient at this delay of bedtime, and knowing that we were repeating some of them and leaving out others. So this month has been all about Thomas. However, we only have a few stories left, so next month we'll definitely have something else to report.

8 comments:

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

Amanda's book looks very interesting! I also like when you can read a good story but learn about history as well.

Corinne said...

Intriguing choice. Not one I would normally pick up, but now I"ll check it out next time we're at the library. Sydney (10) is learning to stretch her literary horizons, so this might be a good one to try.

Katrina said...

Stowaway looks really good. I'll have to look into that one for Camden, too.

Jen E said...

I have to agree, Stowaway looks really good! Like I kind of want to read it myself...

Heather J. said...

I can't wait for kiddo's reading skills to improve - I'm sure he'll LOVE Stowaway!

Carrie said...

Ooo! Ooo! I like Amanda's pick and Joshua likes Kyle's.

So there! (I guess . . .)

~teachmom~ said...

Hi, Jennifer! Thanks for stopping by my blog as you do and comment! :)
I love Historical Fictions, too, and this would be a great addition to our curriculum! Thanks for posting this!

Jane @ What About Mom? said...

Stowaway looks great. Reminds me of books I enjoyed like The Witch of Blackbird Pond, and The Cay.

I find a bunch of my good books in the "to be shelved" carts.