Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Nepotism

For some reason, I still remember becoming aware of the term nepotism. In 6th grade Social Studies, or whenever it was, I just thought it was the funniest thing, and it really stuck with me. I think that part of it is that I love the word. It's a nice unusual word.

These days you don't have to be family to be family. Last week at my daughter's open house (for the mature new-school attending intermediate students), as we heard about the no-bullying policy we were informed that it wasn't tolerated, because they were all family there.

We often refer to fellow church members as our church family and having been upheld through various crises or helped others in my church get through them, that one I believe.

Groups and people and common bonds from our past often make us feel like family. As a Texan living here in the Northeast, I have an automatic connection with anyone from the South. When my husband and I stumble across an Aggie, we are doubly excited to share a "Gig 'em" with someone from our alma mater with all those years behind us and miles between us.

When I received a copy of Deep in the Heart of Trouble by Deanne Gist in the mail for review, I looked it over, and honestly it wasn't the kind of book I'd normally read. However, it was set in Texas, so that peaked my interest, and then I read the biographical info on the back cover and saw that Deanne Gist was an Aggie, and immediately thought, "My sister, I will review your book."

I started to read it and enjoyed what I did read, but historical romance isn't my normal fare, so when I started 5 Minutes for Books, and had several reviewers who loved that genre and specifically the author interested in reading it, I passed it along to one of them so that it would get the attention it deserved in a timely manner.

You can read Lisa's review at 5 Minutes for Books.

What about you? Who do you consider family?

6 comments:

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

My family? I'm with you on the southern thing! Anyone who attended a Baptist university. Anyone who's dad is/was a pastor. Anyone with missionary connections. Anyone who has transplanted to RI from any place else. And mom's with kids the same ages as mine. = )

Carrie said...

My law school classmates and my church family are instant, well, family. But pretty much any friendship that I make that looks to have a future attached to it becomes family. I'm never in things for the moment. I'm in for the long haul.

Good question!

Lisa writes... said...

Oh no. I can't believe you're an Aggie. I fear this may alter the good working relationship we've enjoyed thus far. See, I'm a Baylor alum and I have devoutly opposed all Aggies since leaving Baylor's stadium after a horrible trouncing by you College Station types and all you could hear reverberating across the parking lot was "Hulla balloo kineck..." (or however you spell it).

Kidding.

I think.

:-)

Debbie said...

You're right. Family means so much more than those we grow up or live with. Great post.

thewritermama said...

Hiya Jennifer,

Hope you'll have a few minutes to come on by the second annual Writer Mama Back-to-School Giveaway.

:) Christina

Katrina said...

Well, I married into a huge family, which was a much different feeling than the very small, intimate image I had of "family" when I was growing up. Other family: our church and "the church" in general. Also, I think of people from my college as family as well -- or at least, they're more likely to get special attention or the benefit of the doubt from me. :) And I probably think of people I see in bookstores or reading as a type of extended family. Instant points with me if you love reading.