Monday, September 15, 2008

We're Wild About Harry

I posted in my recent What's on My Nightstand? posts that I had to read the fifth year of the Harry Potter series because Amanda had started reading the series, and was catching up with me. Since I had told her that I had to stay ahead of her in the series, so that I could stop her and have her wait at any time, I wanted to make sure that I was one step ahead of her.

I think that time has come for her to wait and mature a bit. Book five (the Order of the Phoenix) seems to deal with some more mature themes, and although I haven't yet read six and seven, I understand it intensifies. So, I'll hold her off until maybe this summer.

I posted on 5 Minutes for Books yesterday about my choice to preview the Harry Potter books for Amanda and the resulting delight in the series as a whole -- not only for me, but now together with her. One of the fun conversations that Amanda and I reading this together has led to is: Which house do you think you'd be placed in at Hogwarts? I was pretty sure of mine (Hufflepuff -- for those who don't quite fit anywhere else), and when I asked Amanda where she would be, she wasn't sure. However, she did pretty quickly sort me into Hufflepuff! I think that she might be placed there as well, but she probably has more Gryffendor in her than I do.

In another post I did a review of the first movie which we only just watched this month.

The timing of all of this is because it's the 10th anniversary of the first book, and we're giving away a great prize package on 5 Minutes for Mom. Check it out.

So, click on through the links, and join the conversation about reading the books, watching the movie, or just enter to win a set (because you love them, or because you want to try them out).

But before you go, how do you think that the hat would sort you?

4 comments:

Shauna said...

I heard one family say they used Harry's age in each book as a guideline for when their kids could read it.

Jen E said...

I'm glad you are enjoying the books with your daughter. I think I'd probably be a Ravenclaw - they seem very smart and studious. Rather read than fight? That's me. :)

Katrina said...

I'm guessing I'd be in Ravenclaw as well, since I am such a bookworm, and was always a major geek in school. :)

At A Hen's Pace said...

Hey, Hermione is smart, studious and a bookworm--and she was in Gryffindor! I guess the Gryffindors have to have a maverick streak, which is why that's where I'd be. :)

Jeanne