Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Newbery Medal Winners

Back in August, Amanda and Kyle and I were in our favorite discount bookstore in New York City, The Strand. Amanda came across The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle, and asked if she could have it. It was pretty thick and cheap (under $3), so I gave it the green light. She didn't read it for a while, but when she was in between books earlier this month, I suggested that she try it. I wondered how she would do reading a book published in 1923. She did say that some of the words and spellings were odd, but the book pleased her, and she read right through it:

The Voyages of Doctor Doolittle is a really good book. It's a sequel, so I really want to read the first book now. It's about a nine-year-old boy named Tommy Stubbins who goes on a voyage on a boat with Dr. Dolittle.


Knowing that she was about to finish that one, when Kyle and I were at the library last week, and I was searching for books for her to read, I saw Mrs. Frisby and the rats of NIMH (1972 winner). I didn't remember anything about it, except that I had enjoyed it as a child. I showed it to her, and she wasn't interested. She found another book on her bookshelf to read. She finished that one, so I again offered this one, telling her to try my rule: Read two chapters, and if you don't like it, you can stop.

Well, she's still reading. Mom was right again. Her summary:

A week ago my mom brought me some books from the library. One of them was Mrs. Frisby and the rats of NIMH. This book is about Mrs.Frisby, a widowed mouse with four children. But then her weakest child falls sick, and Mrs.Frisby dosen't know what to do! Her only hope is to go to the mysterious rats that live under the rose bushes.


This is part of Children's Classics at 5 Minutes for Books. Click on over to read more Newbery Medal recommendations.

5 comments:

Katrina said...

I really like your 2-chapter rule. We had a similar experience where I recommended that Camden at least give a book a try and then I couldn't get him to put it down.

I remember loving Mrs.Frisby & the Rats of NIMH when I was young. It's definitely neat to share timeless classics like these with our own kids.

Anonymous said...

Love Mrs. Frisby! You should watch the old cartoon version when you find it. It's one of my favorites. Hannah loved that book too, she read it for a book report in 4th and made a diorama, that smelled because she put real grass in it!!!
Martha

Jen E @ mommablogsalot said...

I really want to read Mrs. Frisby soon - it sounds like such a good book - I might make an event of it and read The Tale of Despereaux, too. :)

Nise' said...

My daughter (now 24) loves this book. I have read a chapter here or there when the kids were reading it.

TheAngelForever said...

The two chapter rule is a really great idea. I will have to remember that one when my boys are reading chapter books on their own.

Thanks for the reviews of these books. I have read a lot of Newbery winners and honor books, but was not too familiar with these.