Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Children's Classics -- Caldecott Medal

It's a disgrace! A travesty of justice!

From what I can gather, Eric Carle has never won a Caldecott Medal (or even the "runner-up" Honor medal). The Caldecott is awarded to the artist making an outstanding contribution to children's literature. One sticking point that I've found is that the author has to be a U.S. citizen, or living in the U.S., which Carle does and has since he's written, but perhaps that has changed, and they used to have to be a citizen (which he may not have been when his books would have been considered)?

I wrote in the first Children's Classics carnival about our love for Eric Carle's Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See, and I was surprised that I turned a few of you on to it (I thought everyone with a toddler had this book memorized as I did).

So, I just offer you some photographic proof of Eric Carle's unique technique of collage/paper illustrations. We even visited his museum of Picture Book Art in Amherst, Massachusetts.

You can click on any of the titles for more information.













I think that this is kind of funny. I am rebelling, and fellow 5 Minutes for Books contributor Carrie ended up writing a very interesting history of the Caledcott Medal for her post.

You can read more reviews back at the 5 Minutes for Books' Children's Classics carnival.

10 comments:

Bluestocking said...

Madeline didn't win an award either!

I redesigned my site. Hope you like it.

Alicia said...

I love Eric Carle books too, and I totally think he should win a Caldecott for this book (or several others)! I always feel sorry for Bill Martin Jr, though, who actually wrote Brown Bear! No one remembers him because we love Eric Carle's illustrations, but I like this book's sing-songy words, too.

Jen E @ mommablogsalot said...

That is really surprising that he has not been awarded. His books are genius. :)

Carrie said...

LOL! I can hear your outrage! I DO find it surprising that he hasn't won. That's . . . interesting.

BTW, we keep our copy of Panda Bear, Panda Bear What Do You See? in the car and yesterday as we were driving around town I could hear Joshua's little voice in the backseat:

"And-a Bear, And-a Bear, wha U see?" (Whereupon he always makes up the second part.) "I ee kitty ooking at me. MEOW MEOW MEOW"

It was very cute, regardless if it seems so in this comment box. ;)

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

I didn't know there was a museum! I looked at the website and I think it would be a great way to introduce my children to art. But it's 1.5 hours from me... I've become very Rhode Island in my perspective of how far is too far to drive. = ) Maybe next summer when the baby isn't eating every 2-3 hours we'll make the trip.

Kipi said...

It's hard to believe that Eric Carle has never won the Caldecott. The Very Hungry Caterpillar was our favorite, but we loved them all!

Haylee Jalyn said...

I completely agree with you! I can't believe Carle was overlooked in this award business. He was one of my very favorites as a child.

Shanna said...

Well, our three love Brown Bear, Brown Bear... I'll be checking out others by Eric Carle. And, yes, I am one of those who hadn't heard of it until I started blogging, so thank you!

Katrina said...

The ABC book is new to me. I'll have to look into that one for my letters-obsessed toddler. And I admit, I'm not a follower of the medals and awards -- I just usually pick what looks good at the bookstore, or what others have heartily recommended. :)

Lisa writes... said...

My boys LOVED the Carle books! One of my favorite memories is my oldest son "reading" Brown Bear, Brown Bear to his little brother--he was far too young to read at the time, but had the book memorized!