Friday, November 21, 2008

Come on Over to My Place

Good food, dear friends and family, and the lack of distractions ("When can we open the presents?") make Thanksgiving my favorite holiday.

Ten months after I got married, my husband and I hosted our first Thanksgiving in our little apartment in Houston. His grandparents drove across the state to join us. I think that my grandparents might have been there too. Granny cut her finger with the table knife as she was trying to butter her roll. That wedding silver-plate was sharp its first time out of the box.

We started a tradition that year. Thankfully, there's been no more blood-shed, but the theme has endured: bringing together all sorts of friends and family. Over the years those who have attended our Thanksgiving table included my divorced parents and their new partners, my grandparents, my husband's grandparents, a single mom, a newly-divorced friend, my sister and her family -- you know, in-laws and out-laws, and some who were strangers before sharing that meal.

We played games, talked, watched football, and of course we ate. We had dressing, mashed potatoes, specially-ordered rolls from the Kolache factory (oh, they're so good), broccoli-rice casserole, sweet potatoes, Mimi's mixed vegetable casserole, and of course turkey and ham and all sorts of desserts made by lots of different hands.

Thinking about the food gets me excited about next week's spread, but what I look forward to most is the ability to fill the table and our hearts with loved ones or ones who need to be loved.

Our ability to host the feast has had a few interruptions: we lived in Portland for a few years when Amanda was young, and since we moved here to Connecticut, we've traveled to Virginia to celebrate with the parents, siblings, and cousins who live there.

This year we are open for business again here in the Snapshot house. My mom and step-dad are flying up from Texas. Some dear friends of ours from Texas who now live in the general area might join us as well. If so, once again some strangers will sit down together at a table overflowing with goodness (even without the Houston Kolache rolls). After eating and talking and yelling at some heavily padded men, they won't be strangers for long.


You are cordially invited by L.L. Barkat to join a Thanksgiving Celebration. Just post about a Thanksgiving memory, something you are thankful for this year, a special family Thanksgiving tradition, your favorite "thanksgiving" bible verse, or anything else you can dream up.

Be serious, spiritual, creative, beautiful, humorous, whatever... it's a celebration and good celebrations welcome all kinds of expression!

As a token of thanks for joining us, L.L. will link to you in the Thanksgiving Celebration post (and Christianity Today and High Calling Blogs will link back to said post, so their readers can check out the full celebration). You can make L.L.'s link-love job easier by dropping a comment at the Thanksgiving Celebration post. See you at the pie table!

To participate in the Thanksgiving Celebration:

1. post your Thanksgiving reflection with the invitation above and this little list of two
2. send the invitation to 5 or more friends (or just stash it in your cyber-drawer as a keepsake and take another bite of pie)

5 comments:

Katrina said...

Oh that was fun -- I enjoyed reading about your Thanksgivings over the years. It seems we are always either at my mom's or at my in-laws' house (except for one delightful year when we were in Cancun with both Chad's family and mine). One year, everyone was busy, so we had a quiet Thanksgiving at home, alone. This year is our first year officially hosting, but my mom will still do most of the cooking, because she loves it.

I, of course, will force people to play games with me after the meal. :)

L.L. Barkat said...

Some of my favorite little snippets...

thankfully, there's been no more bloodshed

in-laws and out-laws

... and just the hospitality of your table.

Dianne said...

I love Thanksgiving best of all, for so many reasons. Loved reading your memories here!

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

We've also tried to fill our table (and living room) with "ones who need to be loved."

Beck said...

That's so friendly and nice. American Thanksgiving sounds like a much bigger deal than Canadian Thanksgiving, but I still love our Thanksgiving just the same.