Thursday, November 13, 2008

Feeding

When Pops and Tutu were here last week helping out with the kids while I was changing the world (or far more accurately -- the world was changing me), we decided to let them give their kids their Christmas presents, because we won't see them again before the end of the year. I figured it would help the kids avoid that over-full feeling that happens at the end of December -- so many good things, and yet not so much appreciation for them because there are so many good things.

Kyle's present was easy. He's been dying to go to Day Out with Thomas. When I found out that it was going to be here in Connecticut the weekend Dad was here, that was a no brainer, because even better than an early Christmas gift is an event Christmas gift that leaves only memories not stuff! He still loves all things Thomas, and I don't mind feeding the obsession. It results in creative play.





Amanda's was pretty easy, too. She's been begging for a camera or a video camera. When my friend Martha came to visit, they were quite impressed with the little Flip Video that they had. When I saw the great prices on amazon (we got the white one which was $30 cheaper for some reason), Dad thought it was totally doable. I can highly recommend this gift as well, which has also resulting in creative play for Amanda (and Kyle, and her friend, and-- um --me). It was a hit.

Thanks to Susan's great post at 5 Minutes for Mom, I was able to edit the video in Windows Movie Maker quite easily. I didn't edit much, because I was enjoying the dialogue. Three minutes is really too long to be watching deer on Amanda's deer cam, but if you listen to her first comment, and then fast forward to 2:00 minutes, I can heartily recommend the last minute and a half of deer footage and Amanda commentary of the deer feeding on the leaves. All summer they fed on our garden, and I thought the least they could do was show their faces. Amanda and Tutu spotted them Saturday morning, and took this video through the basement window. We've never seen them that close to the house before.

4 comments:

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

Those are brave deer! They might not be so brave if they were down South. My brother already has his tree stand up in Arkansas. = )

Karla\ said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Flip Video...and I got the white one on Amazon for $30 cheaper too. I keep it in my purse ALL the time. It's VERY easy to use.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that I got mentioned in the blog. I love the video. Maybe you need to think about getting her a tripod :) I especially liked all of the grass shots! I am glad Pops got to have a great memory time with Kyle. Maybe Kyle needs to do a blog spot telling about his day. Thanks so much for sharing! Martha

Katrina said...

Very cool gift. I'll mention the Flip Video to Camden and I have a feeling it'll end up on his list. And I enjoyed all 3:26 of Amanda's video. Your deer are as brazen as the ones in this area.