Thursday, November 06, 2008

Gig 'Em, Los Dominicos


I wrote today at 5 Minutes for Mom about meeting my sponsored child, Chino.

What I didn't say is that because we are so Aggie-rich on the trip, we are doing a little proselytizing (In addition to me, Melanie is an Aggie, and Shaun has Aggie blood whether he wants to admit it or not, and Keely is proud of her Aggie blood and claims the school as her own, even though she had to go elsewhere to study).

When I was getting Chino's gifts ready to take to his trip, I asked Terry if I could put them in our old Aggie backpack. "You can," he told me, "if you teach him the proper respect."



So, as we were going through the backpack, I showed the block T logo and told him that my husband and I went to college there.

Augustin is one of our translators. He has a smile a mile wide and I've been practicing my Spanish with him all week. He was party to all the brainwashing education I was giving Chino about putting his thumb up and saying "Gig 'em."

The next morning on the bus, he asked me "Write down what you said about -- was it gig?" So, I wrote it down for him, and he gave me the thumbs up. "Yes, that's good. It means thumbs up to heaven, but this is more like the devil," he said making the hook 'em horns sign. I have no idea if this was a happy coincidence, or if he somehow knew about the football rivalry from the great state of Texas, but Melanie and I were pleased with his association.

Then as we toured Mariolvis' college campus, she told us not to walk on the grass, and also to take off our hats before we went into the library. It truly is the A&M of the Dominican Republic.

If you haven't been following my trip to the Dominican Republic, I hope that you will read about my experience and sponsor a child of your own. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

4 comments:

Angie said...

I have been reading all of your posts over at 5 min. and here. Just enjoying all of them about the trip but haven't commented.

I do wonder though how you had the wonderful opportunity to travel with Compassion. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you for spreading the greatness of the Aggie faith! I was laughting so hard with what your translator said, no smarter words have been said. Tell him that he is an honarary Aggie!
Martha

Katrina said...

I enjoyed this post, and the one over at 5M4M. How cool to be able to meet the child you sponsor. I think that would be amazing...for both the sponsor and the child.

Jen said...

While I am an OSU cowgirl living in E. Texas, I too have Aggie blood. I was born in Bryan, my Dad went there, my mom worked there, and my grandpa was a professor there! I hope to make it to a football game there within the next couple of seasons! I love that the thumbs up can be translated to any language! Gig 'Em!!