Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Kids' Picks -- Inkheart

When I asked Amanda what her favorite read was this month, the answer came back quickly, "Inkheart." She read all 560 pages in less than a week -- a large part of it on Saturday morning when she stayed in bed for two hours after she woke up with her nose in the book. I actually had the chance to interview her on the way home.



What did you like about this book?

It was great! It really satisfied my craving for adventure.

Of course I had to ask for an explanation about that one. Do you mean that it made you feel adventurous? To have your own adventures?

No. You know how I like to read adventure stories so much? Because I've been reading so many good ones, I have to find better and better ones. If a book is slightly boring, I can't read it. So, this one really filled my craving.

Well, okay then. I guess if you have to be addicted to something, "adventure books" are an acceptable vice
. Who do you think would like this book?

Oh -- everyone! If you like fantasy, definitely, but also if you like realistic fiction, because it's about a girl who goes on these adventures.

Isn't it about books somehow, too? (Amanda had been sharing quotes with me from other books that were included in this one).

Yes, sort of. It's just a really great book. I can't wait to read the others in the series, and the The Thief Lord by the same author.

Inkheart is a book I've heard a lot about, and apparently the praise was warranted. I heard that the second book (which she's reading now) and the third book aren't as good, but that is based on adults who are reading children's books. I also think that they get more mature, so we'll see if she's able to finish out the trilogy or if I make her wait. Any thoughts?




Find out what more kids around the blogosphere are enjoying at this month's Kids' Picks carnival at 5 Minutes for Books.

10 comments:

Corinne said...

Thanks to Amanda for the recommendation. Sydney has been "craving adventure" too since finishing the Mysterious Benedict Society books. We'll check this one out.

stephanie@{Olive Tree} said...

Oh, I agree with Amanda - it WAS a good book! I'm looking forward to 2 and 3 although I've not heard much about either of them. :)

Trish @ Another Piece of the Puzzle said...

Oh, I would have loved this when I was her age! Hope she likes the next two just as well. :)

Carrie said...

=D Good pick, Amanda! I TOTALLY loved Inkheart and am awaiting the movie with much anticipation.

Inkheart was written as a stand-alone book which makes it easy to read just that one and stop there if you want. I'm glad of that because I read the second and it DID have more mature themes and some of the magic/appeal of the first book was lost in the "romance" of all the characters. I think Funke has amazing talent that she squandered away in the the second book. THerefore I decided to just skip reading the third so that I could revel in the first without complication.

I LOVE Funke and think she's a tremendous author.

And I think the movie is going to be awesome!

ibeeeg said...

I have heard of Inkheart but have not really looked into it.

Thanks for your review because now I think this would be a great selection for my 11yod to read. I am going to pick it up and suggest it to her.

Bluestocking said...

I haven't read this series yet.


I reviewed The Horse and his Boy.

Alyce said...

I have heard a lot of great things about this book. I tried to read it myself, but I just couldn't get into the story. Maybe it was just my mood at the time. I might give it another try someday.

Katrina said...

Hey - you did an interview too! :)

And this is quite a coincidence. Chad told me the other night that I HAD to pick a book from Audible.com since he had a credit that was about to expire. I picked Inkheart because I've been curious about the author and series and figured that if it was good, I could put it on Camden's iPod too. Thanks, Amanda, for sharing your thoughts!

Heather J. said...

I love the interview format! Kiddo and I do that for our Mom & Son Book Club posts - you never know exactly WHAT they're going to say. :)

Lisa writes... said...

I read Inkheart a couple of years ago and loved it!