Tuesday, November 25, 2008

More Memoir

This month for the 5 Minutes for Books What's on Your Nightstand carnival I'm going with the "quick review of books I read" in the last month or books that are in progress, and surprise -- they could all be loosely categorized as memoir!

I'm almost almost finished with Same Kind of Different as Me. It's the story of a Ron and Debbie Hall who begin to serve God by ministering to the homeless, and the friendship that develops between them and Denver Moore. It's one of those books that I had not heard of at all, until a friend lent it to me, and said "This is good; you should read it." I didn't get to it, but our other friend did, and said, "It was the best book. I couldn't put it down. You have to read it." Then I took it with me to the DR to read, but we didn't have anytime to read, but fellow booklover Tim Challies said he had really enjoyed it and then others chimed in as well. So -- I finally got to it, after hearing from several people that it was a worthy read. I did enjoy it, but I don't know if I'd put it as a top ten lifetime book, or even of the year. I haven't finished it yet, so maybe that will change??

Speaking of my trip with Compassion International, I'm also in the midst of the president Wess Stafford's book Too Small to Ignore: Why the Least of These Matters Most. I haven't even gotten to his involvement with Compassion yet, but I have been pulled in by his story of life as a missionary kid in a "primitive" culture in Africa. What has surprised me about this book is the applications he makes about the way we treat children here in our culture. It's caused me to think about how I should change my perspective as a parent. So far, so good.

Another book I finished earlier this month is Beautiful Boy by David Sheff, a father's account of his son's crystal meth addiction. What a scary and sad book. Sheff, a journalist, does a wonderful job of explaining the physical problems with crystal meth, as well as the codependency of the parents and other loved ones involved. It's a truly harrowing experience.

This month I'm looking forward to reading a couple of novels that have recently been sent to me or are on the way: Flirting with Forty and Matrimony. I also have some nonfiction books from my Fall into Reading list to finish.

10 comments:

Janet said...

'Too Small to Ignore' sounds really interesting... I'm going to look for it. Thanks for these reviews!

Katrina said...

I'm curious about Same Kind of Different..., since I, too, have heard that it's a great book. And I saw Beautiful Boy at the bookstore once, but was really afraid to read it. I'm not sure if I could handle that one.

stephanie@{Olive Tree} said...

Looks like a lot of heavy reading for you lately!

Lindsay said...

The Same kind of different, I have heard such good things about this book. I will definitely need to look into that. I am reading the Mysterious Benedict Society with my SIL (she's 10) and we are both loving it!

Carrie said...

Huh. Well, The Same Kind of Different as Me sounds really fascinating.

I need to go back and check my Fall Challenge list and see what I've finished and what's still "outstanding." ;) I quick keeping track!

Kimberly/Mom in the City said...

Too Small to Ignore: Why the Least of These Matters Most sounds like a great read. I need to pick that one up.

Barbara H. said...

I might place the book about the boy addicted to crystal meth on my "someday" list. My husband and I have each had siblings addicted to drugs, one to meth, and it is so sad the way it alters your personality. One got arrested, went through rehab, and is doing well. The other is a teen and just got out of rehab, and we're so hoping he doesn't fall back into the same habits.

Nise' said...

Wow some heavy reading last month. Will have to check out Flirting With Forty. Although, my flirting days with the forties are almost over! LOL

Alicia said...

I just read the Amazon excerpt of Flirting with Forty, and I totally want to read it. Can't wait to hear what you think of it!

Kipi said...

I have heard many, many great things about Same Kind of Different. There is a lady at our church who read it and enjoyed it so much that she's passing it around to friends and having everyone who reads it sign it and leave a comment. I have it on my to-read list, but I probably won't get to it for a while!