Monday, November 24, 2008

Taking Guests to New York City


My mom and step-dad are in town for Thanksgiving. Yesterday we spent the day in New York City.

We sufficiently wore them out, but I rewarded them by taking them to my favorite spot to go to dinner with a group -- Tony's diNapoli.

We were hungry, tired and cold. As we waited for our food to arrive, my mom was displaying some of her skills (being the life of the party in addition to flatware finesse). She was immediately upstaged by the impressionable (and talented) Kyle who beat her at her own game.




Seriously -- that spoon hung there like he had a magnet in his nose.

In addition to dragging them all over town, we took them to see the Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular. It was our first time to see it, and I can highly recommend it (There is a National Tour as well, so click here and see if it's coming to your city this year). The precision dancing of the Rockettes appealed to the four-year-old boy, the ten-year-old girl, and all four of us adults.

It really gave me a good shot of Christmas spirit, focusing on the wonder of New York City at Christmas, Santa Claus, and even the Christ child. This held Kyle's interest more than the circus that we attended last month. One great feature is that it was 90 minutes with no intermission. I don't know about your kids, but my young kids always ask, "Is it over? Is it time to go home?" when we break for intermission, regardless how much they were enjoying it.

So, I know I've said it before, but I truly do heart New York. Being able to take guests to the most exciting and diverse city in America is yet another reason.

4 comments:

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

Sadly, after living in RI for 11+ years we have NEVER been to NYC and haven't been to Boston since Will was born. I've wanted to go to the Christmas Spectacular but by the time I felt brave enough to travel into NYC we started having kids. We don't have family near (or babysitters to watch for that long) so we'd have to take our kids and that does NOT sound like fun. Maybe this summer we'll take a trip to Lady Liberty and the Bronx Zoo.

Katrina said...

Sounds like lots of fun, and I love the pictures!

We went to NYC to see the Radio City show when I was young, and we all greatly enjoyed it. I'd love to take the kids to New York someday to see it too.

Martha said...

I am so glad you got to get to NYC during this holiday time! I am so glad too that your mom finally made it! I hope she enjoyed your trip to the city and your wonderful hospitality. I need to have a spoon hanging contest with Kyle!! Tell him he better practice!

Musings of a Housewife said...

I've been wanting to go to RCMH for Christmas. Maybe one day I'll get there.

The spoon - so funny. My son just learned that trick. He's so proud.