Thursday, December 11, 2008

Christmas Book Recommendations

It's no secret that I love books and bookstores, so I often find myself giving books as gifts, because if I have to shop, I might as well browse the bookshelves or amazon (a favorite browsing place -- conveniently good for books and almost everything else).

Over at 5 Minutes for Books, the whole team has recommended some of their favorite bookish gifts. I wanted to elaborate on two of my recommendations that I haven't reviewed elsewhere:

The Bill Martin Jr Big Book of Poetry: This is such a great book! It's bright and colorful and features poems from authors such as Bill Martin, Jr., Robert Frost, Langston Hughes, Margaret Wise Brown, Mother Goose, Jack Prelutsky and Judith Viorst. The illustrations are from Lois Ehlert, Steven Kellogg, and others. Kyle loves it and so do I. It's a perfect bedtime and naptime book for a couple of reasons: since the poems are short, you can choose to read two or six, depending on how much time you want to devote to storytime, and even if I'm feeling grumpy and rushed, the rhythm of poetry snaps me right out of it.

The The ESV Study Bible would be a great gift for anyone who teaches or studies the Bible. I've heard for a while about this new translation (it still seems new to me), and how it has the accuracy of the New American Standard and the readability of the New International Version. Each page is 1/2 to 2/3 scripture with the remainder of the page being detailed notes on the verses. Each book has a thorough introduction, and there are wonderful maps and diagrams throughout. This is a BIG book -- not one to tote to church, but a perfect reference Bible.

Click on over to 5 Minutes for Books to read more of my recommendations and the rest of the team's for children, men, and everyone on your list!

2 comments:

Melissa @ Breath of Life said...

I really, really want the ESV Study Bible!

Katrina said...

Love my ESV study Bible. But it's HEAVY. And it will take me forever to truly explore all the great resources in it.