Tuesday, December 02, 2008

How I Met Your Thirtysomething Mother

I blame American Airlines.

I found How I Met Your Mother on their inflight entertainment "Eye on America." I enjoyed the episodes I watched when I took my Disney blogging boondoggle trip last April, then I really enjoyed the episodes I saw on my more altruistic trip to the Dominican Republic in November ("Slapsgiving," anyone?).

So, when my mom and I were early Christmas shopping so that the kids could enjoy the gifts now while she was here, I saw Seasons 1 - 3 of HIMYM at a low low Costco price, and I told my mother that I would love that as a present. So, now I've been gorging (after only four days, I'm almost through Season 1), and the more I watch, the closer I am to figuring out why I love it so much.

It's not only a clever team comedy, like Seinfeld which I already own every season of, but with a heart. It grabs my heart. I makes me feel an odd sense of nostalgia. Odd because me -- married at 22 -- never experienced that fun and fancy carefree single life hanging out with my buds in a bar like Ted, Robin, Barney, Marshall and Lilly do. But I am married. I did find my guy, and that's what this show is all about: "a love story in reverse."

And we did have some good times in our early twenties as well with Doug and Danielle, Alex and Alicia and college friends John and Shelley and Robin and Bill (who are, like the HIMYM cast, still around twenty years later).

And college--college was fun and worthy of nostalgia -- hanging out in the dorm with the girls, often waiting for guys to show up (see Bill, above), meeting in the TV lounge at 9pm each Tuesday to watch thirtysomething. Yes, thirtysomething -- for some reason my 19-year-old self was drawn into the thirtysomething lives of Hope, Michael, Melissa, Nancy, Elliot and Gary. Ironically now that I am thirtysomething and might appreciate it more, it's not even available on DVD. There's some grassroots campaign, but apparently there are copywright disputes, so I'll have to wait a while to see if real life would make me warm and fuzzy or just depressed.

People think that I'm some sort of intellectual book snob, but see the truth is that I do love TV, and TV on DVD is my very favorite -- I can watch them over and over again, but most importantly I can watch them on my own time.

One of amazon's big Cyber Monday sales is on TV DVD sets -- it's huge, so this weekend I used some amazon gift certificates and bought some for myself to add to my collection: The West Wing - The Complete First Season and House season 3. Gilmore Girls tempted me, but since I'm about to finish the seventh and final season, which I've been Netflixing, I decided not to buy it. But seriously, if you like TV on DVD, or are looking for some Christmas gifts, many TV shows -- current and classic -- you can't beat the prices -- between $15 and $20 for a whole season. That's less than a dollar an episode! How I Met Your Mother - Season 1 is less than $18. So, if you love it, suit up. It's awesome.

Most of these are Cyber Monday sales (good through today, December 2), but they are teasing new deals each day on TV/DVD sets through December 16.

****

Edited Wednesday to add that the DVD sets are still on sale, and that I am going to submit watching TV on DVD as what Works for Me this Wednesday. Seriously, if it weren't for my sports-watching husband and Disney-obsessed children, I might just cancel the DirectTV and stick with my DVDs. Go on over to Rocks in My Dryer to see what else people are posting about. I'll bet you can find some more gift-giving ideas and holiday survival techniques, including Shannon's two great soup recipes (I think we'll be having Ham and Potato soon. Amanda will LOVE it).

11 comments:

Martha said...

I know the real reason you like it is because Doogie (your true love:)) is on it. I haven't really watched one but we have always talked about it. I'll check it out. We really don't watch DVDs, I did watch Monty Python while ironing the other day and remembered watching it for the first time in your dorm room when we were sophomores!!

Nicole said...

Cute post! ;)

Hi Jennifer...my name is Nicole from A Mommy's Musings...you had notified me via my blog because I won the Land's End fleece on 5 Minutes for Mom. I tried to email you, but it didn't go thru for some reason, so I sent an email to the moms at 5M4M (via their "contact us" tab.) I just wanted to make sure that someone knew I was "claiming" my win! ;) Thanks so much for contacting me! I love your blog by the way...I really enjoy reading your book reviews! :) Let me know if I should email you somewhere else! Thanks!

heather said...

I'm like you. I adore books, but I like my TV, too. A couple of years ago, my husband talked me into getting DVR. I fought it. Don't we watch enough TV as it is? But I love it! Out with the commercials. Out with flipping through channels when you want to veg, but nothing's on.
I hate when he's right. ;)

Adventures In Babywearing said...

I JUST started watching How I Met Your Mother and asked for the DVDs for Christmas!

Steph

Lori W said...

We watched HIMYM from the very beginning and LOVE the show... and feel kindred to souls like you who also love the greatest "current" sitcom on tv. Funny story at Thanksgiving... I was telling my folks and my brother and sil how much I love this show and told them to DVR and watch the next episode... which happened to be "the naked man" episode. Don't think that was the best episode for them to start their viewing of my favorite show!

I would love to see Thirtysomething again... I always watched that show.

Lori W said...

We watched HIMYM from the very beginning and LOVE the show... and feel kindred to souls like you who also love the greatest "current" sitcom on tv. Funny story at Thanksgiving... I was telling my folks and my brother and sil how much I love this show and told them to DVR and watch the next episode... which happened to be "the naked man" episode. Don't think that was the best episode for them to start their viewing of my favorite show!

I would love to see thirtysomething again... I always watched that show.

I do love me some TV also!

Lisa writes... said...

While in Best Buy last week, I glanced (with some degree of longing) at the complete West Wing set but then realized it was OVER TWO HUNDRED AMERICAN DOLLARS! Loved West Wing...maybe I'll have collect the episodes season by season...and thirtysomething? Totally loved it too!

Anonymous said...

Totally enjoyed the shout out! I remember watching thrity-something with you. Now if you do a blog about interpretive dancing or why uncoordinated people should not take gymnastics as a PE credit I'll be really impressed. Fun to see your kids growing up. We're getting old, but I still heart-ola you!

Shelley Johnston

Dianne said...

Ah yes. Doogie! A former heartthrob of mine. But my true love - Richard Dean Anderson - and I never get tired of watching my MacGyver reruns (i own a few seasons), or Stargate SG-1 - of which I own none. I always hesitate to invest money in TV on DVD but maybe it's not a bad idea, since I will watch them over and over. I could do without all the cable channels; I much prefer the reruns.

Katrina said...

I don't own a single TV show on DVD. I just don't like TV enough, I guess. Though I do admit to using Netflix to catch up on Lost last year. Now that I think about it, though, we don't buy movies either (except for the kids). We're much more likely to just rent and return.

Jen Rouse said...

My husband and I just started watching How I Met Your Mother and we love it. I love that with DVDs, Netflix, Hulu, etc., I don't have to watch TV only when the networks happen to choose to air it--I can watch it when it works for me and when it fits my scheduled and when I'm in the mood for it. And even discover "new" shows several years late.