Tuesday, December 23, 2008

What's on my Nightstand -- December

Well, now that Katrina's Fall Challenge is over, I don't have much of a list to stick to (not that I completely stuck to my Fall list, although I did pretty well). I also don't have a lot of review copies just sitting and waiting for me to read, so I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to read.

I am a Mitford fan, but I've had a hard time saying goodbye, so I waited months (maybe even years!) before reading the final installment in Jan Karon's series. When Home to Holly Springs came out as the first book in the Father Tim series, I was glad that it wasn't going to truly end, but I didn't jump right in for some reason. A friend gave it to me for Christmas, and I think I'll be reading it this month.

Speaking of series that I drag out unnecessarily for some absurd reason, I think I need to read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Book 6). It's been on my nightstand a while, but I want to be able to finish it up when book 7 comes out in trade paperback this spring. As an aside, this book has been "on my nightstand/bookshelf" so long, that I realized that I have TWO copies of it!

I've also started another Christmas book that I hope to stick with: The Irrational Season (The Crosswicks Journal, Book 3) by Madeleine L'Engle who is just lovely. Reading these books is like sitting down for a chat with an older mentor wife. I loved the first one, A Circle of Quiet, but I got a bit bogged down in the second one, The Summer of the Great-Grandmother, so I wasn't really compelled to keep reading. So I'm especially glad that my friend bought me this one and that I decided to just start reading, in spite of the fact that I don't think I finished the second one. Isn't it a lovely book? That matters to me -- how a book looks, and I love having these on my nightstand.

In fact, one reason I delayed starting Karon's latest series is because I love the look and feel of the trade paperbacks. The same goes for not switching to Harry Potter hardcovers, although these paperbacks are becoming a little worse for the wear, with Amanda having read the first few twice and me having read them once. A thick softcover book doesn't hold up too well to being read, BUT a thick hardcover is giant and heavy, so I'm still not sure where I stand on all this. I did recently review the 10th anniversary edition of the first book , and I got a review copy, so I might continue collecting those in hardcover as each novel hits its milestone year, because they have a similar look to my beloved trade paperbacks.

There are a couple of review copies that I want to read soon:

This One Is Mine: A Novel by Maria Semple

And of course a memoir Come Back: A Mother and Daughter's Journey Through Hell and Back

Thank you for joining me for this overly sentimental look at What's on My Nightstand. Read some more lists over at 5 Minutes for Books the fourth Tuesday of every month.

16 comments:

Katrina said...

Yes, you really must read Harry Potter! But this time of year, it seems it might be more fitting to curl up with something a bit slower-paced, like L'Engle's. I'm in the middle of a "supernatural thriller" at the moment, but might want to take on something a bit calmer after that.

Amy said...

oh i loved the mitford series also and home to holly springs was great. i'm wondering if she'll write a sequel to it. i'm currently reading A Tree Grows In Brooklyn.

Robin of mytwoblessings said...

Hi Jennifer,

I am just getting into the mitford series. My sister bought me a couple and I've only read one. I forgot about the other one til now. Its buried in all my other books on overcrowded bookshelves. :)

If you are interested in another challenge, I am hosting the Winter Reading Challenge. Very casual like Katrina's Fall challenge.

Merry Christmas

Robin of mytwoblessings

Margot said...

I like your list. I too love the Mitford series but am waiting to read the last one. Hope you have a nice reading holiday.

Dianne said...

You know I love anything by L'Engle, right? I did read the Summer of the Great-Grandmother, and finished it. I'm anxious to read The Irrational Season as well. I'm also reading Walking on Water by her, and earlier this year I read The Rock That is Higher, I think my favorite so far of all her writing. And I'm with you on the trade paperbacks, although I never knew that's what they were called.

Carrie said...

I read Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time and didn't understand it which is why I haven't picked up the Crosswick Journal series that you mentioned. However, I've heard fantastic things about them (also) and have to say I'm really, really tempted. It seems like they are more "down home-sy" where as A Wrinkle in Time was science fiction for kids -- and I just didn't get it!

Jen E @ mommablogsalot said...

I still haven't read anything by Madeleine L'Engle which seems blasphemous to me, so I'll probably have to remedy that soon...

Casey said...

I hope you enjoy your reading! I also tend to acquire multiple copies of books or re-re-re-check them out from the library. My husband just laughs. I've done it quite a few times.

stephanie@{Olive Tree} said...

What a fun list. Most of those would be rereads for me, but this time of year, when my brain is busy running 90 miles a minute, I love to curl up with fun fiction.

Nancy said...

I've been meaning to read more of L'Engle's adult fiction, I think I'll add the ones you mentioned to my TBR list.

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

Alyce said...

I haven't read Home to Holly Springs either. I think it was because there was such a long time between the Mitford books and the next book coming out.

Alicia said...

Love that you had 2 copies of the same book. That sounds like something I would do! I understand dragging out series when it's characters you're attached to. Who wants to say good-bye to them?

L.L. Barkat said...

Always amazed at how much you read (you don't sleep, right? :)

Ana T. said...

I really want to try Jan Karon and Madeleine L'Engle but I haven't found the time yet. I also want to continue with the Harry Potter books, sometimes it feels I'm the only person who hasn't read them yet...

Lisa writes... said...

Will have to check out the L'Engle books. Like Carrie, I think I've only read Wrinkle.

And Jan Karon? Totally a favorite, though the Holly Springs book wasn't really the best of the rest.

Harry? LOVE him!

Looks like you've got some great reading ahead!

BookPsmith said...

I know what you mean about beautiful books. I picked up The Man Who Invented Christmas this week and although I am saving it for the new year challenges I keep taking it out to look at it because it is just delightful. I will be adding The Irrational Season to my TBR list for December 2009.