Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Brown Works for Us

Ah yes, the life of a book and product reviewer is so very sweet. I receive deliveries from UPS (not to mention FedEx and the good ol' postal service) at least three times a week. And even though it's usually something I've requested or I know is being sent to me, the thrill is still there as I rip into the bubble-wrapped envelope to see what it might contain.

As frequently as Brown delivers here, I'm still disappointed when I see the truck slow and then drive right on past my home. I'm not the only one. Just last week, the neighbors were getting a delivery, and Shadow was as close to their driveway as the electric fence would allow her to get, wagging and whining away, as if to say, "What about me? Aren't you going to come see me?"

Today I had just put Kyle in his room for naptime, when Shadow jumped down from the purple chair that she had claimed for her naptime ("It's a dog life?" Sign me up for that one).

She ran to the front door, whining excitedly and wagging her tail.

I opened the door and she bolted towards her favorite person: our friendly UPS driver. This is the first time that the drop of the packages on the doorstep has caused her to go outside, but I think she's generally outside to begin with at delivery time. The driver (I think her name is Cheryl? I've asked, but I always forget) was halfway across the lawn returning to her truck parked in the street.

Shadow wasn't about to let her escape. She ran out to meet her, as I called "She heard you, and just had to come see you," with a big grin on my face.

"I left your treats with the packages," she told her black furry friend. "Go get your treats."

"I'm not sure if it's the treats she came out for, or the ear-rubbing," I explained. I called her back to the porch, waving a treat, so that she might have an incentive to leave the friendly gloved hands of her friend in brown so that Cheryl (?) could go on to make someone else's day with a delivery.

5 comments:

dianne said...

Aw, that is SO sweet! Gyver would scare them away with his bark, which really just means "you came to play with me, right?!"

I'm sure a visit to your house makes her day too. Does she ever ask about all those deliveries?!

Kimberly/Mom in the City said...

I love my UPS guy. He waves me down/calls my name if I'm on my way out and he has a package for me! Even though I give most of the package contents away, it is so much fun to get them.

At A Hen's Pace said...

When my husband worked at home, UPS had deliveries for us several times a week. There would be a ring at the doorbell and before the driver was back in his truck, my two youngest rugrats would have the door open and be yelling, "Thank you!" My older kids had running jokes with several of them too. They all got friendlier and friendlier. Now we never see them in our new place! It's kinda sad.

~Jeanne

Katrina said...

Aw, very cute.

Though I don't get quite as many free books as you :), I do get some, plus I do much of my shopping online, so the delivery guys are here regularly. One of Logan's early sentences was, "Hi, UPS Man!"

Our cat, however, lets out a low growl and takes off for the upstairs when one of them comes. I guess not everyone likes new packages!

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

What a smart delivery person to bring treats for the dog!!