Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My Kids' Reading Picks -- January

Like last month, Kyle (age 4) is still enjoying the Big Book of Poetry, edited by Bill Martin Jr. We read something out of this book at almost every naptime. We've almost read all the way through it (we just mark our place and keep going), and I know he'll want to start again, but can anyone else recommend some good poetry anthologies?

We are reading other things -- both easy readers that he has to help me read, and other books, but knowing how he likes the rhythm of rhyme (and how pleasant it is for me to read, even if I'm feeling grouchy), I've used that as a selection criteria at the library.

Amanda (age 10) read a lot this month -- seeing as how she had a few weeks off from school at Christmastime and we've had several snow days as well. When she doesn't have to go to school, she will stay in bed for an hour (or three!) reading her book. Because of a fairly busy schedule, she doesn't read every night before bed, but she binges on the weekends, and I think that she gets in a lot of reading at school. They always have to have a book for free-reading, and the teachers are always encouraging it.

Life As We Knew It

I know nothing about this book other than what I read on amazon. It sounds pretty heavy -- an apocalyptic disaster -- but when I asked Amanda what she liked about it, she said, "It really kept me guessing and wondering." I long-ago relinquished control over what she's reading -- simply giving her guidelines -- but as in-touch as I am with reading about books, I've usually heard of a hot title or am familiar with the author. Not so with this book, but she's a discerning reader so I have to trust her. However, I see that it's about a fifteen-year-old girl, and one way I've guided her selections is by letting her know that in general if the book is about someone out of jr. high, it might be too mature for her. I do want reading to broaden her horizons, but there are some horizons that are fine to stay as hazy as far-off mirages, right??

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4)

This was her favorite in the series so far, and it was still one of her favorite books this month, even though this was a re-read. When she reads the Order of the Phoenix, it will be her first time reading it. She can't wait, but since I haven't read book six yet, and want to stay ahead of her, I have held her off.

The Princess Bride: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure

This was definitely a favorite as well. She just finished this book, and has helped me write up a Books on Screen post, so look for that Thursday at 5 Minutes for Books.

The City of Ember

She really liked this one, as well as the second in the series, The People of Sparks, but she just recently started the third in the series The Prophet of Yonwood, and put it down to read something else. She said that this is a book she didn't like, because the characters are all different. When I was looking for the links just now, I found out why -- it's a prequel set 50 years before! I had asked her if she thought she'd go back to it sometime, and she said she probably would.

Inkdeath

Another "third in the series" book that didn't thrill Amanda. She loved Inkheart and Inkspell, but she said that this one was more boring and didn't hold her interest as much. She also said that her friends agreed -- that they were all reading other books at the same time they were trying to finish this one.

Find out more Kids' Picks from across the blogosphere at 5 Minutes for Books.

12 comments:

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

Love, love, love Princess Bride!! I have the book but haven't read it yet. Maybe your review will prompt me to do so. I couldn't tell you how many times I've watched the movie though. :) I'll spare you from quoting lines.

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

I hope both my kids will still enjoy reading so much when they are Amanda's age. I know that makes you happy!

Carrie said...

Looks like Amanda has been having tons of fun this month. I can't wait to see her co-authored reviews!

Bluestocking said...

I reviewed Inkheart today!

Bluestocking said...

I reviewed Inkheart today!

Z-Kids said...

Princess Bride is one of my favorite books - I like it even better than the movie (which I also adore dearly). The kids are eager to read it now after getting so many snips of it in the chapter beginnings of Inkheart. I'm wondering how kids do with the "commentary" that runs throughout P.B.? I loved it. But I wonder if kids find it interruptive or boring? I've always thought it was more of a fairytale for adults anyway...

Nancy said...

The Princess Bride has been on my TBR list for a long time now - I should really do something about that? Oooh that might be a perfect audio book...

Mary Ann Hoberman has some books that I've heard are great for beginning readers - both poetry and books intended for a parent and a child to read to each other, taking turns. There's always Where the Sidewalk Ends... Another author I have on my list to check out is Jack Prelutsky who has written poetry books aimed at the 4-8 range.

Margot said...

My ten year old granddaughter is crazy about the Harry Potter books. Number 4 is also her favorite. Thanks for sharing a more expanded list to help me in looking for some new books for her.

ibeeeg said...

I just finished reading Inkheart and my 11 year old plans on reading it.
The Harry Potter books were very good. I, unfortunately cannot remember them all as individual books.

The Princess Bride - this one is on our reading list.

Interesting to know that your daughter did not like the 3rd book of the Inkheart series. That is good to remember.

Amy from Occupation: Mommy said...

Has your daughter read The Mysterious Benedict Society? My daughter just started it this week and she said it's one of the best books she has ever read.

Lisa writes... said...

Goblet is my favorite of the Harry books, even after reading the series more than once (and maybe even more than twice...I'll never tell...)

Katrina said...

I'm always amazed at how much Amanda reads. Camden reads almost every night, but Amanda always handily beats him as far as number of books read. That's okay, though, because that means she gives me books to suggest to Camden. :)