Friday, January 16, 2009

News from New York(ish)

No, no -- it's news all right, but I'm only New York(ISH). I don't live in the state of NY, and I'm not within a normal commute of NYC, although it is the closest big city to me here in the rural(ish) areas of Connecticut.

So, first news from my little corner of Connecticut. It was nine degrees below zero when my husband woke me up at 5:45, and said, "Don't flush!"

We are "city folk" and have just barely stumbled through all of the knowledge needed for things such a septic tanks (we try to think of this system as little as possible) and wells and oil-heated furnaces. Somehow Terry figured out that the breaker switch had tripped on the water well pump (one big drawback with a well is that you need both electricity and water to actually use water). So, he reset it, but we still had really low water pressure. He decided that it was worth the cost of a service call to have peace of mind, so I called someone and he was here within twenty minutes.

Even better, everything checked out fine, and he just charged me $50 for the service call. Who only charges $50?? Local small-town business owners, that's who.

And in the weather front, by the time we had to leave home, it was up to 0, and now it's sunny and 14.

********

But the real news that captivated Terry while he was on-line last night was what all the news show are calling "Miracle on the Hudson."

I'm sure that you've heard this story about the small plane whose two engines failed yesterday afternoon. The pilot did an emergency landing in the Hudson river. Chesley Sullenberger is being hailed as a hero -- not only for his skill and quick-thinking in landing the plane, but in verifying that no one else was on board before he left the aircraft.

This story has really gotten to me -- reminding me that there are true-life heroes, and giving me pride in my adopted home. There were Circle Line tour boats that came to the aid of the passengers, as well as quick action from other rescue services.

It also reminds me that the flight attendants and pilot are really there for safety -- not to bring us drinks and act as a taxi service, but to get us where we want to go safely.

My friend Alicia had a short career as a flight attendant. She said that she was (only a very little) disappointed that she never got to use her emergency training. She never got to use it for real, but if you got her going (which wasn't hard to do), she would do her whole flight attendant routine:

"Come on, right here, out this door," ("You have to use a really loud voice," she told us).

"Now SLIIIIIDE. SLIIIIDE."


It is a miracle, and I hope that others out there are crediting the true source of all that protection -- the Creator God who gave that pilot wisdom and a calm heart; the Protector God who equips those rescue workers; the Sovereign God who knew the timing of that incident -- and in His care, it happened in the afternoon, not this following evening when it was much much colder, and dark. . . .

Thank you Chesley Sullenberger, but thank you most of all my God in heaven.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

NINE BELOW ZERO!?!?!?! YOWEE!!!

Melissa @ Breath of Life said...

Not quite that cold here today, but not out of the 20s.

One of the passengers was from my small town! Her brother was one of my high school teachers. I hope the world sees this as a miracle, too.

Katrina said...

Oh I know, that whole plane situation was just amazing!

And cold...I hear you. It was 9 or 10 below zero both Friday and Saturday here. This morning, it's a balmy 14 and may go as high as 24. Brr.

heather said...

Last time I was told I wasn't allowed to flush a toilet, I was in a third-world country.
Of course, that's not to say there have been times at my house when I flushed and nothing happened. And, of course, all the toilets decided to stop working at once. They must have had a union meeting.