Saturday, January 17, 2009

Now If Only I Had to Work the Fields

I don't like exercise.

I don't mind activity -- hiking, skiing, running and playing with the kids (okay, so I'm not big on running no matter what form it takes) -- but exercise just for the sake of exercise is just not my favorite thing.

"Exercising" is a relatively new invention. Back in the day, people got their activity from walking, working in the house and the fields, and whatnot.

But things are different now.

My dishwasher washes my dishes (with water that just appears from the pipes), my vacuum cleaner beats the rugs, my washer and dryer take care of the clothes, requiring only the effort from me that it takes to bundle them up, dump them in, grab them out and deliver them to their proper homes. I drive to the supermarket to buy meat and vegetables, and I stand at a quick-cooking electric stove to prepare them.

We have a guy that plows the driveway since it's pretty long and 4 inches of snow would take a LOT more time and energy than we want to expend, but when we just get a couple of inches, we're on our own. So, twice in the last week, I have spent 30 to 45 minutes outside giving myself sore muscles and heart-pumping activity the way that nature intended.

Now I can't say that I enjoy shoveling snow anymore than I enjoy hopping around and grapevining and bending to a DVD, but at least it accomplishes something other than exercising for the fact of exercising.

4 comments:

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

I'm with you on exercise for the sake of exercise. My husband takes care of shoveling or short (only 2 car lengths) driveway and sidewalk. I haven't had to shovel snow for a couple of winters. Being pregnant (or "still" recovering from a c-section) has it's perks. ;)

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

I actually LIKE to exercise. Up until eight weeks ago, I did it every day because I wanted too. Because I have been sick, I haven't been able to do anything like that. I can't wait to get back, but I am sure I will be in for a rude awakening. It will take a while to get back to normal, I'm sure. I don't think I would want to shovel snow. I like to be warm when I am getting my exercise!

Musings of a Housewife said...

I wish I liked to exercise, but I just don't. I hate it. I do like the feeling when I'm done, but that's not enough to motivate me most days. And shoveling snow? I hate that more than exercise, lol. Guess it's a good thing we don't get any snow! :-)

Katrina said...

I can get myself to the point of liking exercise, as long as it isn't running! I hate running.

I shoveled snow a couple times last week and it was definitely a good workout. As an added bonus, I listened to my audiobook to keep me entertained as I worked.