Tuesday, January 06, 2009

On call

Last night -- 10:25pm: I go to bed with the intention of spending some quiet time with my husband. As I reach the hallway landing, Kyle races out of his room, wearing that confused and upset look that marks the face of a child suddenly roused from sleep. At first I mistook the countenance for one of chagrin for being caught out of bed, so I said, "It's okay honey," and then I noticed the urgency as he paused to address me, and I said, "Go -- go," directing him to the bathroom.

As he reached the bathroom, he left evidence of the problem on the tiled floor. I followed him in.

"I threw up," he said on the verge of tears. "It got on Blankie. Can you wash her?"

At this point my heart broke along with his. I encouraged him to wash his face and hands while I went to his room to survey the damage. I cleaned up and got his bed ready.

He got into bed, and I gave him a towel to hug in Blankie's absence. I also placed a bucket beside his bed and instructed him of its purpose (Kyle has an overactive gag reflex, but this is his first bout of dealing with this type of throwing up). Then I got in bed and read and waited.

Thirty minutes later, and again twenty minutes after that, I met him in the bathroom. One time he had carried the bucket along for his short walk to the bathroom.

This morning he still is dealing with the bug, but from the other end. I'm hoping that my thorough handwashing and frequent wiping down of all surfaces with antibacterial wipes will prevent further infestation.

I've had recent flashes of realization that he is growing up as I've observed his increasing maturity, and this little illness has clarified it. He used the bucket (and due to evidence I found this morning, it appears that he used the bucket once on his own in the night). He didn't fuss too much as he waited patiently in the middle of the night for me to ready his bed. He (begrudgingly) let a towel stand in for Blankie, although she was the first thing he asked for when he woke up.

When a mom goes to bed, we never know for what we'll be called into duty in the night or when we awake. It could be sickness, a forgotten homework assignment that is remembered that morning before school, or perhaps our role will simply be that of drill sergeant, inspiring the troops to get moving to tackle whatever the day holds. Sometimes we bring good news, and sometimes we have to share bad news, like this morning when I had to explain to Kyle that we wouldn't be able to go to the mall today, as we had planned.

But it's all in a day's work -- a twenty-four hour day's work.


Dad said...

Hope you are feeling better.

Jen E @ mommablogsalot said...

I hope kyle feels better soon. Weirdly, my son was sick last night also, at about the same time. Unfortunately at 2 years old, he was not at that same maturity level your son obviously is. :)

Guess we're both stuck at home with the sick kids. :)

Katrina said...

Aw, poor Kyle. Hope he recovers quickly and that the rest of you manage to avoid it. I do have to say, you have been lucky that he hasn't had a stomach bug before now. Somehow, both of my kids had their first before they were 6 months.

Good for Kyle using the bucket! I'm looking forward to when Logan has that capability.

And yes, moms are always on call...it's just part of the job description.

Malissa said...

aww! poor guy!

Martha said...

Poor Kyle (and more importantly, poor Jennifer)! I really hope no one else gets it. We have luckily only had a few bugs that travel throughout the family. I bet that everyone should be fine. (Now, if Hannah could only use a bucket. She freaks and doesn't do anything! You would think a 13 year old would learn.)

Carrie said...

Good post! And poor Kyle. Hope he gets to feeling better soon!

Being sick is absolutely no fun at all!

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

It's a 24/7 job, isn't it? In recent months I have perfected the art of sleeping sitting up. I don't know if I COULD sleep 8 hours straight at this point.