Friday, January 09, 2009

Our week in a nutshell (or a bucket, as it were)

The week between Christmas and this Monday was a week of Loafin'. Terry was home from work on New Year's Day holiday, and worked fewer hours the rest of the week. We had no schedule, and really took on no responsibilities. It was really wonderful R&R, but I was ready to get back to a schedule. Unfortunately, that's not how it worked out.

Everyone back to school. I did some chores around the house. All was well -- until Kyle woke up sick Monday night.

Pretty much back to normal. Even though Kyle didn't feel ill, I kept him and his germs home, which meant that I didn't get out either.

Snow day. Actually it was an ice day, so we were homebound once again, and since it was yucky ice and not fun snow, there wasn't even any recreation. Three days into my new year's schedule, I was not physically or psychologically ready to be homebound, again. I was a little short-tempered and not much fun.

Wednesday night Terry awoke at 2:30am, succombing to Kyle's virus. An hour later, I joined him.

We were both sick. Although the illness didn't manifest itself again after the morning, we both felt rotten all day, staying in bed as much as possible. Amanda was a great help with Kyle that morning and after his nap when she got home from school. The TV was a good friend to him as well.

There are some things that you don't want to share, and your sick bed is one of them. It was kind of funny that we were both lying around, moaning, dozing, etc, and not really communing with each other much at all.

Amanda woke up at midnight. Yep. Unlike her brother, and like her parents, the illness has hit her hard. Like her brother, she learned to use the bucket, and I feel a little bad, because I went back to sleep after forty-five minutes or so, and thought I heard her once or twice, but she told me she was up every half-hour. I'm not sure if that's true, but I am glad that she took care of it herself.

I'm also glad that I felt just as badly as she seems to be feeling just a day before. Otherwise, I might have thought she was being a bit dramatic. As it is, I have empathy.

Due to all factors mentioned above, I had not been out in my car since before the ice storm on Wednesday (I had gotten out in Terry's car with no problem for a quick trip Thursday afternoon to pick Amanda up at school). So, when I tried to get out to take Kyle to preschool, I couldn't. I was iced in (this happens frequently because of my heavy SUV without 4 WD and our uphill driveaway, but usually I don't really "have" to be anywhere). However, due to the fact that Kyle has been homebound along with me, and I wanted to drop him off and pick up sick supplies for Amanda, I was determined. After almost an hour, we managed to free ourselves from our property.


Dad said...

Parenthood is rewarding but can be a tedious. Your post reminded me of when you came (sleepwalked?) into our room every night for a long time. I almost always took you back upstairs, but occasionally just lifted you into our bed.
I also remember your flu!

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

That sounds horrible! I hope the worst is past, and I hope your weather will cooperate. My hubby was in CT when that ice hit (he was there Sun-Wed). Thankfully, he was able to make it home without delay!

Carrie said...

I have the same "I've been homebound FOR TOO STINKING LONG!" problem also.=) So I totally sympathetized with you working for an hour to leave your property.


Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

So sorry about your bug! We haven't had that yet. I've told Joel he better not bring sickness into my house! We did have the ice though. My guys enjoyed watching the icicles form off our house and tree. They all finally went outside today (yeah!!) and crunched around on top of our ice covered snow. I'm not feeling cabin fever yet - mostly just wish everyone else would go and I could be home alone. In. Peace. And. Quiet.

Lisa writes... said...

I'm so sorry y'all have been sick! It's bad when the kids are sick, but its' BAD BAD when the mommy is sick!