Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Snow Day -- Again

The storm was supposed to hit after midnight last night. When Terry was up this morning getting ready for work, I opened one eye. It was still dark outside, so I whispered, "Did it snow?"

When he answered yes, I reset my alarm, knowing that school would be delayed at least and I wouldn't have to get Amanda up.

I don't know when it started snowing, but I was a bit dismayed at the cancellation. Not only is this our third snow day (which will be tacked on to the end of the year), but it didn't even appear to be snowing anymore. I saw later that they made the right call, since it continued to snow and then it turned to slippery sleety rain.

When I found out that school was canceled (underlying meaning: I don't have morning parental responsibilities), I returned to my room to read the book that has pulled me in tight (The Help -- I started it Sunday. I probably spent too many hours reading it yesterday, so I might as well go ahead and finish it today so it doesn't distract me another day, right?).

So, the trip to Panera for free coffee day didn't happen this morning, but we did stay pajama-ed for a while (in fact, the children are still pajama-ed, but I've told them that getting dressed and bathed sometime before dinner is imperative.

I might be complaining at the end of June when Amanda's still in school, but today wasn't half bad all things considered.

Oh by the way, in a couple of days when I'm wondering where the bruises on my back and elbows came from, please remind me that I slipped on the second-to-last step and landed hard on the bottom step on my back. I should remember because I knocked the wind out of myself and had to lay there a minute before I got up, but I usually forget until Terry notices and asks why I'm black and blue.

6 comments:

Martha said...

We're home today too! 1/2 inch of ice that is already all gone. It's been nice. I finally finished the last Twilight book (didn't love it like Hannah did). The boys just played all day and Hannah got bored and found a ride to a friend's house. I really need to do some work sometime though!

stephanie@{Olive Tree} said...

OW! Sorry about the fall. I did a slip like that in college and ended up with a broken tailbone. I would take a looooong soak in the tub tonight if you can get away with it!

Melissa @ Breath of Life said...

We had a snow day that wasn't here last week. I certainly wish we'd get some!

That book looks good...wanna' send it my way when you're done? ;-)

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

We had a nasty mess all day, too. If it had just been snow I could have at least sent the kids out in their snowsuits. We are all starting to go a little stir crazy. I'm hoping to get to the library on Friday. We need something out of the house - but not too far or for too long!

Azah said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. I'm sure it must be very painful. Hope you'll recover by now.

By the way, don't forget to give us the review on the novel you're reading 'The Help'. I'm sure it's an interesting book or else how can you spent hours reading it.

Have a nice day.

Katrina said...

Oh, Ouch! about your fall. I do that occasionally (or walk into a wall, or run into the coffee table) and Chad's often wondering what in the world I did to myself. Glad you enjoyed your snow day!