Tuesday, January 27, 2009

What's on My Nightstand -- January

I recently wrote in the On Reading column about what it is that encourages Amanda to read, the same goes for me. I am reading more than normal now because I have a giant TBR stack full of great books that I can't wait to read!

Here are the books in progress or patiently waiting their turn to be read:

  • Les Miserables for the Classics Bookclub. I got started on this last week. It's been more than 10 years since I read it, and the story is a favorite, so I'm glad that it's not disappointing me this time around. I might even be enjoying it even more. Is anyone else reading it?
  • The Irrational Season (The Crosswicks Journal, Book 3) by Madeline L'Engle. Yes, I'm still reading it, but after I wrote about it last month in my Nightstand post, and so few of you had heard of her Crosswicks Journals (non-fiction real journals), I decided that I'm going to do a Madeline L'Engle series on 5 Minutes for Books. So stay tuned.
  • Why Women Should Rule the World -- This book was recommended to me last spring, and I noticed it's coming out in paperback soon. It's by Dee Dee Myers, and I have to say that my fascination with the West Wing (oh yes, I'm still watching my DVDs) led me to wonder if she spills any secrets there (she was a consultant for the show).
  • Waiting to Score -- I want to read some more Young Adult books for 5 Minutes for Books, so when this (and several others) were offered to me, I jumped on them.

Two others that I'm not sure I'll get to, but would be next in line (and are calling to me, so they may even end up jumping ahead in line):

  • Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese -- I read his medical memoir My Own Country: A Doctor's Story years and years ago (6? 8? 10?), and it still stands out in my mind as an excellent and informative read. I read another true story, and it was okay, but I am really looking forward to his first novel. This is bad news, as my expectations leave much room for disappointment, but we'll see how it goes.
  • The Laws of Harmony by Judith Hendricks
  • And since I wrote this another two have snuck their way into the pile. . . .

25 comments:

Melissa @ Breath of Life said...

I want to read Les Miz...does that count?

stephanie@{Olive Tree} said...

Ditto to what Melissa said ... I'm going to see if my library has it in when we go this week. :)

Janet said...

I think I read an abridged Les Mis in high school on the recommendation of my youth pastor. It's probably cheating, but I don't know if I have what it takes to go back and read the real deal...

The only Crosswicks Journal book I've read is 'Two-Part Invention.' I LOVED it... It was an engagement present, and a great one.

Margot said...

Thanks for the tip on the Dee Dee Myers book. It sounds good. I thought I was the only still stuck on West Wing. Glad I'm not alone. Great list.

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

I'm reading Les Miserables this month, too! : ) And I'm reading a L'Engle book for the Semicolon Book Club this month, as well. I'm really looking forward of reading L'Engle again--it's been since junior high that I last read her. Happy reading!

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

I'm reading Les Miserables this month, too! : ) And I'm reading a L'Engle book for the Semicolon Book Club this month, as well. I'm really looking forward of reading L'Engle again--it's been since junior high that I last read her. Happy reading!

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

Oops--double post! : )

heather said...

I've never read Les Mis, though I've seen the musical (and, in fact, quoted from one of its songs in my post today). I loved Hunchback, though, so maybe someday I'll give the book a try.

Jen E @ mommablogsalot said...

Definitely intrigued by Why Women Should Rule The World - I'll have to look into that one sometime.

I also want to read Les Miserables but my TBR list is getting out of control and I'm gonna have to wait on that one for a while, too.

Katrina said...

I'll look forward to seeing what you think of the Austin Family books -- I've never read those either, though I love MLE.

Carrie said...

I was walking around our used bookstore with the Crosswicks Journal, Book 1 in my hand based on your rec. I put it back (because I had exceeded my personal spending limit as it was!) but I do plan on reading those books soon. So I'll look forward to hearing more of what you have to say about them!

Dianne said...

I will look forward to your MLE posts!! I have started to collect her works, beginning with her non-fiction.

I don't feel so bad about my nightstand (bookbag, end table, etc.) when I look at your list!

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

That's quite a list! How in the world do you read so many books?! I read four this month and feel exceedingly proud! :)

Robin of My Two Blessings said...

I only wish I had time to read Le Miz right now. Its on the tbr pile for later in the year or maybe next year. We'll see. :)

Lindsay said...

I have never read any of the Austin's books either.. can't wait to hear what you think about them.

Nise' said...

I am trying to finish I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings before I begin Les Mis.

Kipi said...

I've got Les Mis on my list to start as soon as I finish Anne of Green Gables for the L.M. Montgomery Challenge. I read A Wrinkle in Time for the first time a few months ago and quickly went to Half Price Books and bought the rest of the series. I haven't read any of her other books, so I can't wait to read your posts on MLE on 5 Minutes for Books!

carma said...

Great selection. The book by Dee Dee Myers should be interesting.
carma

Trish said...

Meet the Austins looks really interesting. Although I have always been a big reader, I was pretty much on my own to find books to read and somehow never got into L'Engle. I'll have to rectify that soon. :)

hayleejalyn said...

I read Les Miserables just a few months ago and I adored it. I can't wait until March to see what others thought of it. I might even try to read most of it again before then.

"Why Woman Should Rule the World" looks great. Thanks for your reviews!

Catherine @ The Blonde Diaries said...

Oh Les Miserables would have been a good pick when I was choosing my casual classics this year. I will have to make a note for next year.

Ana T. said...

I've been wanting to reread Les Miserables for a long time. I'll be looking forward to your review...

morninglight mama said...

Ooh, I've read Les Miserables twice in my life-- and the first time was in college with a set of the books bound separately. I even got to several pages in one of the later books that had pages that had never been split!! It was amazing. I SOOOOO wanted to keep those books, and I cried when I had to return them to the library!

Lisa writes... said...

I'm planning to read Les Miz...just haven't started...yet...

Oh, and I read the first Crosswicks Journal a few weeks because of your mention of it here. I liked it, mainly because I like MLE's beautiful prose. Sometimes I didn't get what she was saying, but I sure enjoyed the trip! :-)

Michele said...

My copy of A Wrinkle in Time is from the Quail Valley Elementary library. The librarian gave it to me when I pointed out that one section of pages were repeated and the next section was missing. I'll have to get another copy to find out what I've missed. MLE's Two-Part Invention (Crosswicks Journal Book 4) is one of my favorite books.