Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Kids' Picks -- Magyk and Moose Muffins

Amanda started a new series this month. She read the first two books in the Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage (and plans to finish off the third and the fourth soon). She quickly devoured Magyk and Flyte, a sign of her level of enjoyment. In her own words:

"They make me feel like I'm in the book. The characters feel real. They're just really really good. I would recommend them to people who like adventure and magical books."

She's ten and says that they are good for her age (maybe some younger could read them too). Since they both deal with magic, the comparison to Harry Potter is inevitable. Amanda says "It's not a thing like Harry Potter. The story holds together in the same way that they do in Harry Potter. It's just quite different. The magic is different, and the characters are different. You shouldn't compare the two series, but just enjoy each of them."

Recently, Stephanie at Stephanie's Mommy Brain has mentioned the "If You Give" series by Laura Numeroff, reminding me that I should check out more books in the series. The original two have been staples in our home since Amanda was a preschooler, and Kyle has enjoyed them as well.

So we finally got two more from the library. When we brought If You Give a Moose a Muffin home from the library, I think that we read it at least four times in the first three days, a few times back to back -- the sign of his level of enjoyment.

I always enjoy the beautiful illustrations by Felicia Bond, and this story is on par with the others. I love how they encourage creativity -- cooking and sock puppet shows are among the fun ideas that the moose has.

On another trip to the library, the most recent offering If You Give a Cat a Cupcake was available, so we checked it out too (and Kyle refused to turn in the Moose book). This story seems to have evolved, going beyond the creative home activities of some of the earlier books. The cat ends up taking a trip to the beach and the gym, where he works out and does karate.

Find out what more children have enjoyed this month in 5 Minutes for Books' monthly Kids' Picks carnival the third Tuesday of each month.

7 comments:

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

I love those If You Give a. . . books, too!

cindy said...

We love the If You Give A...books too! In fact we have started the tradition of giving a book to my son's classroom each year(he's only in 1st grade) and he wanted to give the Cat one. He loves them and was THRILLED when I found a book with 3 of the stories on CD!

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

The moose version is one of my favorites! I am going to suggest the other books to my 10-year-old neighbor. I think she would really like it!

Carrie said...

I've been wondering about that series that Amanda is reading and was curious about them. Would I like them?

morninglight mama said...

I should look at that series for my oldest-- sounds like something he'd be interested in. And yes, the "If You Give A..." books are always a hit around here with the younger ones!

mari said...

I love If you Give A Moose a Muffin. actually I like all the Felicia Bond books. The other books sound great. Amanda has chosen some interesting sounding books to read, ones I think I would enjoy. :)

Katrina said...

We love the moose/mouse/etc. books and I've had my eye on the cat/cupcake one for a while, but just haven't gotten around to picking it up yet.

And as usual, I appreciate Amanda's comments on good books for 10-year-olds. :)