Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

I think that those instructions on the shampoo bottle apply to housework as well.

Laundry -- Sort. Wash. Fold. Repeat.

Grocery shopping -- Make List. Shop. Consume. Repeat.

Cooking -- Plan. Prepare. Eat. Repeat.

Vacuuming -- Vacuum. Subject to rigors of household. Repeat.

This year I've finally gotten my act together and imposed some daily/weekly chores on Amanda, (unloading the dishwasher, cleaning her bathroom, fixing her lunch and her brother's) and Kyle (setting the table and feeding and watering the dog).

On any given day, I'm likely to hear this refrain from either or both of my children:

"Mom, I don't like doing my chores. I don't want to do them."

Well, as a matter of fact, kid, neither do I, but since there's no one around to do mine for me, I'm sticking with the plan.

7 comments:

Melissa @ Breath of Life said...

I just can't get it together to have CJ do chores. During the school year, it's too much. I ask her to do things, but we just don't have a list anymore.

Good for you, though!

Vivian said...

I'm trying to be strong and keeping the kids on track with their chores. Sometimes it is just easier to do it myself, but I have to remember that this helps them in the long run. :-)

Lisa writes... said...

Oh, I want to get the boys on some sort of chore schedule...I need to...they need to...but I can't get myself organized enough to take the plunge! I keep saying this is the time, what with no sports and us being home every evening for a change, but I can't seem to just do it!

morninglight mama said...

Ah, my 8 year old and I were talking about chores the other day, and he said he told someone he didn't have any. I asked him what about cleaning your room every evening? Setting the table for dinner? Unpacking your lunchbox? Maybe I screwed up by pointing those responsibilities out as actual chores, but I have been thinking that it's probably about time to up the ante a bit... more to think about... the kid's pretty good with a vacuum... :)

Amy said...

the first part of your post made me laugh out loud! since my DS is an only child he has a couple of easy chores, but things do tend to get so busy during school that i slack on being consistent in enforcing them.

Elizabeth said...

As soon as I make a chore list, we get busy again and it gets lost or forgotten about. It's so hard to stick with it, and I've learned that if I don't then neither do the kids! Was I like that as a kid? I don't think so!

Katrina said...

Yeah, I don't LIKE doing my chores either... Camden's getting better at some chores, but I tend to be lighter on him during the school year, since he always has quite a bit of homework. And Logan? I'm thrilled if he'll clean up toys with me. Sometimes that's an if-y proposition.