Saturday, February 07, 2009

Now I Wonder Where He Learned That?

Last week I came across this picture from July 4, 2008

There are ways in which my four-year-old son is nothing like me. There is definitely some of his father in him.

His has an amazing sense of direction. He knows when we are going the "right way" or the "wrong way" and depending on which way we head out, he knows we are going to church, to William's house etc. etc. When I leave a store in the mall, I can't remember from which way I came and which way I am going.

He doesn't usually have a problem putting things back away, and definitely has an appreciation for order. I appreciate order, but that's where the similarities end.

So today we sent him to his room to do some tidying up. While he does a good job with these kinds of tasks, he's an extremely social child. He kept asking for help, and a time or two Terry or I would stop into his room and help him by giving him some instruction, "Now put your books in your basket," or whatever. In between visits upstairs, there was a lot of wailing coming from his room (in addition to being social, he also has the dramatic gene). It took a lot of will power for me not to go up and help him, but I stood firm, because I want to Have a New Kid by Friday (see review).

What should have taken 15 minutes took an hour, but when I went up to check on him, his room looked great, and I told him so.

"I sorta put some stuff under the bed" he confessed.

Ah, that's m'boy.

5 comments:

Lisa writes... said...

Oh, I love your new look! Love it!

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

LOL! This is my battle every night. Sometimes during the day as well. I keep telling my troop if they would take 15 minutes to clean up then they would have an hour (or however long) to play without me hounding them to clear the mine field from the floor. {sigh} One day my daughters-in-law will thank me for training them to clean up... right?

heather said...

Where else do things go if not under the bed? I mean, the closet's already full.

Katrina said...

That's too funny! I've been known to "sorta put some stuff under the bed" too. :)

Dianne said...

Aw he is getting so big! And anyone who doesn't utilize under-the-bed space is just ignoring a gift from God - LOL! I mean, it's space. Fill it up! (just kidding but it does come in handy in our hoouse for shoes, slippers, socks and the occasional doggie toy!)