Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Children's Classics -- Beatrix Potter

So--here's the truth. I haven't shared any of Beatrix Potter's tales with Kyle this month. Why wouldn't he consent to it? Winne-the-Pooh, that's why. Yep, we have completely finished the first book included in our A.A. Milne anthology that we started in response to last month's Children's Classics carnival. He loves them.

I see many similarities between the two authors actually. They both use big vocabulary and wry humor, which bumps a child's comprehension level up a notch (and probably makes bedtime reading a bit more interesting for Mama).

I know we've read one or two before, and this anthology was a favorite of Amanda's when she was his age. I think that those mischievous little animals are thrilling to mischievous little people. The drawings are gorgeous, and if you haven't tried out the original stories as opposed to some simplified board book versions, or looked beyond Peter Rabbit to Squirrel Nutkin and the like, I encourage you to do so.

The other thing I like about both of my particular anthologies is that they are heavy on text. The page is filled with text and has smaller pictures interspersed on the page. I think that this has increased my children's listening abilities. Kyle doesn't always seem like he's paying attention, but he gets it.

Read more about Beatrix Potter at 5 Minutes for Books' Children's Classics carnival.

7 comments:

stephanie@{Olive Tree} said...

We have that same big book and my girls love it! Yesterday when I pulled mine out to remind myself of a few things, the girls kept trying to take it from me! :)

Cindy said...

All the reasons you listed are the same reasons I enjoyed Beatrix Potter!

Carrie said...

Potter is still a bit over Joshua's head so didn't really get a chance to enjoy it very much this month. I tried but he wasn't interested -- being more inclined towards Pooh. =) I look forward to delving into them a little bit more in the future.

Carrie said...

Potter is still a bit over Joshua's head so didn't really get a chance to enjoy it very much this month. I tried but he wasn't interested -- being more inclined towards Pooh. =) I look forward to delving into them a little bit more in the future.

Carrie said...

(oops. Sorry about that!)

morninglight mama said...

I often steered away from BP books for large group storytimes when I was teaching preschool, but with one or two children, they always made such fun read alouds! I prefer the small individual books with their fancy looking blue bound covers-- I think we'll be checking some out on the next library trip!

miss shortcake said...

My sisters and I were HUGE into A.A.Milne and Beatrix Potter when we were younger. I remember proudly reciting "Alexander the Beetle" for guests! ;)