Sunday, March 08, 2009

The Clock

Our clock is sort of, well, sort of -- mysterious. Twice in recent memory it has advanced or fell behind by exactly an hour. Last fall it happened within a day of the time change.

As you can see by looking at it, it's a regular clock, purchased years ago. I'm fairly sure it doesn't contain some computer chip which synced it up to the official clock via those inscrutable microwaves that seem to control everything these days.

When I was changing some of the clocks last night before I went to bed, I decided to see what would happen to my mysterious clock, so I left it alone.

I guess it would make a much better story if it has sprung forward at 2:00am, but unfortunately it stayed the same. I manually turned it forward this morning before church.

I find the Spring transition much easier than the Fall one. The whole "gaining an hour of sleep" in the fall is completely lost on mothers whose children's internal clocks don't care what the real clock -- mysterious or ordinary -- says. But this morning, the internal clock worked in my favor, and Kyle slept in a bit.

Amanda may have trouble settling down at night (when the clock reads 8:45pm, but her body registers 7:45pm), but for Kyle this change has been a good one, and I'm okay with Amanda staying up and reading a bit later (but is it really later?).

As for me, I did not really "lose" an hour of sleep last night. Saturday morning I woke up before 4:00am. I had to be up at 5:45am for a meeting, but I couldn't go back to sleep. I finally got out of bed at 5:20am. So I was a little tired to say the least. I went to bed at 8:15pm to read, and knowing that time was going to spring forward as I slept, I turned off the lamp at 9:00pm (10:00pm, adjusted time) and enjoyed nine hours of sleep last night.

How did the change to Daylight Savings Time treat you this year?

5 comments:

Lisa writes... said...

I'm tired, but not so much from the time change but from having to meet my son's bus (he had been to a show choir competition) at 2:30/3:30 am...

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

I find the spring transition easier as well. Kids don't fall back as easily as they spring forward!

Musings of a Housewife said...

You know, I don't really notice it too much although it was hard to get up this morning!

Katrina said...

I'm still recovering from this time change. My usual late-owl tendencies (that I fight against constantly, due to the fact that I live with three 'morning people') are just exacerbated by the spring change. I stay up way too late and have to drag myself out of bed in the morning...

But I agree with you about the fall change -- it's pointless when you have small kids. No such thing as an "extra hour" of sleep. Maybe when my kids are teenagers...

Melissa @ Breath of Life said...

I think the "spring ahead" day is the most WRETCHED day of the year ;-0 (Falling back is the BEST day, particularly when accompanied by breakfast at church that Sunday morning!)

When CJ was younger, I'd start adjusting her bedtime by 15 minutes every few days a week or so ahead of the time change. By the time we moved the clock, she was accustomed to whichever change we made.

Why is it that I could do that for her, and not for myself? I'm dragging today (it always hits me on the 2nd day).