Monday, March 16, 2009

My Kids' Reading Picks -- March

When we had the Children's Classics A.A. Milne carnival in February, we had just read one story in my very large anthology of Pooh. Kyle (age 4 1/2) liked it, but in that post, I said, "We'll have to see if it ends up in the Kids' Pick Carnival. Just last week, I admitted that Kyle had not consented to read Beatrix Potter (another anthology which he loves!!), because we are still all about Pooh. We have finished the first book in the anthology, Winnie-the-Pooh, and have now moved on to the House at Pooh Corner. Kyle is excited because we in the 200s. When I read it with Amanda, we never did finish it. In fact, I think that there was still a paper bookmark right around this page, but Kyle loves it. What I love is that the chapters are long, and while we don't always read a full chapter in a sitting, it does encourage me to read more to him than I might otherwise do.

Amanda, my 10-year-old, has enjoyed a couple of futuristic books this month. She just finished The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. You can read her comment on Dawn's recent review of it over at 5 Minutes for Books for her (very enthusiastic) opinion. This is a pretty intense book (and I confirmed this with Dawn when I saw that Amanda was reading it, because I thought it was more a teen book). If your child is sensitive to violence, you might avoid it, or read along with them, but if they love fantasy and adventure, as Amanda does, she highly recommends it. It's one I'd like to read as well.

The other one that she really enjoyed, which I AM currently reading (aloud with her for my first read and her second) is Uglies by Scott Westerfeld. This is another book that I have heard a lot about, and also thought it was a bit on the upper end of maturity level for Amanda, but this one happens to be in the Battle of the Books at the public library which Amanda is participating in at the end of the month, so I "let" her read it. She thought it was awesome.

Reading it with her, I agree that Westerfeld has created a great group. And the contrast to the Uglies who all become Pretties when they are 16, and the "antiquated days" that they talk about (our current time) when only some people got to be pretty is quite interesting. As far as age level, there are references in the first chapter to the "pleasure gardens" that the Pretties go to -- in couples -- but that's as explicit as it ever gets. I have a feeling that I will have to check out the future books in the series before Amanda soldiers on, because once they go to New Pretty World, I'm not sure what might happen (if you've read these books, I'd love your opinion!).

Kids' Picks is my favorite Tuesday carnival at 5 Minutes for Books. See what other people's kids are recommending the third Tuesday of each month, or write a post of your own and link it up.

9 comments:

Bluestocking said...

I had heard of this book the Uglies. My post is up!!
Oh I have a trailer for what I will be doing for the Blog Party. It's called Tuesday Teaser 31.

Carrie said...

I love that you cover such a wide variety of ages in one post! And genders too.

Ok, the ugly/pretty book strikes me as being very weird. At the same time, I'm feeling morbidly curious about it!

Glad Kyle liked Pooh so much! I'm wondering when we'll be "allowed" to read them in full.

Kaycee said...

I haven't read The Uglies, but I'm interested in it.

I remember when my mom finally let me read books that were a little more mature. I felt very cool

morninglight mama said...

Yeah, I've also heard a lot about 'The Uglies' but haven't read it either. It's a whole new world in literature as these kids continue to get older!! I'm glad that Amanda enjoyed 'The Hunger Games'-- September will be here soon enough for round two!

Cynthia said...

I always like finding stories that are a bit longer that the kids will listen to!

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

Pooh is very loved in my house. We've brought home the same book from the library 2 or 3 times and never seem to finish it before we have to take it back. I think I just need to buy it. :)

stephanie@{Olive Tree} said...

Those are some books (except for Pooh) that I haven't heard much of. That last book (Uglies) looks weird, different, unusual ... I can't decide if I want to read it or not! :)

Katrina said...

I've been curious about The Hunger Games and I think I might read it for myself -- either through book form or audio form. And the Pooh-reading sounds delightful. I'm looking forward to when Logan's attention span is a little longer and we can explore some of these.

Martha said...

Hannah has read all the books in the Uglies series. She never finished the Pretties. She has the last one. Can't get much of a critique out of her. She is like Amanda and just devours everything she reads. I can't keep up! Have her check out Andrew Clements' Things Hoped For. It was good.