Tuesday, March 24, 2009

My Nightstand -- March

It's always easy to do the Nightstand post for 5 Minutes for Books the week after Callapidder Days' challenge starts.

So--here are the books I'm reading now or hope to get to this month simply pulled off my reading list for the Spring Reading Thing that I published last week.

Currently Reading:

Clutter-Free Christianity: What God Really Desires for You

I've finally jumped into the novel Cutting for Stone. It's slow going (on page 30), but I trust this author, Abraham Verghese, and the reviews have been good. I need to devote some solid time to make some headway.

I'm still plugging away on the non-fiction Why Women Should Rule the World by Dee Dee Myers.

On Deck:

I need to read Things I Want My Daughters to Know, so I can write the review by mid-April, so that will be the next novel on my list. This book will be featured in a great big Mother's Day giveaway we have planned for 5 Minutes for Books..

My Kindle 2 arrived yesterday (!!), and I am going to start reading A Thousand Splendid Suns on it (I uploaded it, but I have resisted, given the other "to-do's" on my list).

I haven't even received these books yet, but they are on their way, and I'm looking forward to them: The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child

What to Read When: The Books and Stories to Read with Your Child

Recently Finished:

I'm planning on posting the review of Undress Me in the Temple of Heaven this week at 5 Minutes for Books.

I don't think that I will have finished all of these by the end of next month, but I'll probably at least be in progress, and who knows if something else might cut in line instead. I'm wondering how long I'll be able to hold off on reading Everyone is Beautiful, which Dawn reviewed this week (and you can still enter to win a copy).

Check out the other participants' lists (or find out how to add your own) at 5 Minutes for Books.

10 comments:

Nise' said...

I have read good reviews for Cutting Stone. I just finished a hard(emotional) book so Things I Want My Daughters to Know will have to wait!!

Carrie said...

Ok....what's a Kindle 2?

Incredibly behind the times, I think . . .

Nancy said...

What to Read When sounds great - I'd love to hear what you think about it, especially in comparison to The Read-Aloud Handbook.

morninglight mama said...

Hey, what's that? You've never read "A Thousand Splendid Suns?"

:)

Looks like a good list, can we do something about adding another hour or two to the day just for reading??

Kipi said...

I've looked at the Kindle, but there's just something about holding the book in my hands that is so much a part of the experience that I've resisted. The cost has also held me back.

I have The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns on my TBR list...just farther down.

Jen E @ mommablogsalot said...

I'm very intrigued by Things I Want My Daughters to Know and What To Read When - great list per usual!

Robin of My Two Blessings said...

Now I'm jealous. I want a kindle but don't want to fork out $300 for it. Oh well. This month's whats on your nightstand snuck up on me and like you, glad to have the list from spring reading challenge to draw from. Happy Reading!

Jessica said...

A Thousand Splendid Suns is on my list after Kite Runner. I've heard its pretty awesome from the blog party...

Michele said...

Undress Me in the Temple of Heaven is sitting on my bookshelf right now. I thought that it looked great...but haven't read it yet. I'll have to go read your review.

Trish @ Another Piece of the Puzzle said...

What a great list! And a kindle, I'm jealous. :)

I'm just now catching up with the WOYN posts and am actually doing a giveaway as part of mine. :)