Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Soaking in Spring

It snowed on the first day of Spring.

When I left to take Kyle to school last Friday, I thought that I saw some flurries in the air. "But it's the first day of Spring," I thought.

Though it was cold that day, earlier in the week we had basked in a few sunny days with temperatures near 60. I don't really mind the cold in January and February, and I do like snow, but it's the end of March, and I thought that Spring had really come.

Monday it didn't even reach 35, but it was a deceptively sunny day. The rest of the week doesn't look much better. I'll have to take the sun as the promise that seasons are changing and warmer days are ahead.

After a long afternoon of running around, I came home to find the sunlight streaming through the glass in my back door. I grabbed my laptop and sat against the window right in the path of the sun. The warmth quickly soaked in through my shirt. Had I not known that it was downright blustery outside -- 40 degrees and windy -- I would have truly believed that Spring had sprung.



Amanda came downstairs asking for help on her homework, so I convinced her to come sit with me. It had the same effect on her as it did on me. It was warm -- not just physically, but emotionally as well. It calmed us and cheered us.

6 comments:

stephanie@{Olive Tree} said...

Sunshine is medicinal, I truly belive. And it's been hard to get some on these super cold days this year. :)

Carrie said...

I'm sure those purple socks also helped with the warming effect!

morninglight mama said...

Yeah, we haven't had any flurries at all, but it's been COLD in the mornings-- so cold that even the sunshine just isn't helping enough!! Let's get going Spring! :)

heather said...

We've been having a lot of spring rains around here.

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

I'm right there with ya!! Well, almost, just one state over. :) I actually raised my windows today and listened to the birds chirping.

O glorious sunshine, where have you been for 6 months?! Please don't go away again!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Sunshine really is an amazing thing!

We had a few flurries overnight, and today will be cold. Tomorrow, however, promises to hit the 60's, which will be delightful! I am SO ready for spring (real spring, not just "official" spring).