Friday, April 03, 2009

Clutter-Free Christianity

I don't accept many books for blog tours for my blog here anymore, since I review at 5 Minutes for Books and receive more books than I know what to do with (Is that really possible?), but the publisher's info about Clutter-Free Christianity piqued my interest:

Your greatest desire is to please God, but with each passing week, your spiritual to-do list grows longer. As you strive to fulfill a never-ending inventory of requirements for being a godly parent, spouse, voter, employee, and more, you feel increasingly disconnected from the God you’re trying to serve.

It’s time to cut through the clutter and get to the heart of what it means to please God. In this liberating look at the core principles of faith, Dr. Robert Jeffress reveals the truth about what God really wants from you–and what He wants to do for you.

You’ll learn how to partner with God in the process of spiritual transformation as you choose to follow Christ in forgiveness, obedience, trust, contentment, service, and prayer.


Based on that description, I was hoping for some real practical advice on how to do this, and the first few chapters on "Connecting to God's Power," "Experiencing Heaven on Earth Now," and "A Forgiving Heart" did not deliver in my opinion. The information was good, but it was nothing I hadn't read before.

I did enjoy the practical advice and Biblical encouragement in a few of the chapters at the end on having a content heart, a serving heart, and a praying heart.

Another issue I have with the description of the book is that the "Bible Study and Discussion Guide," is not really a Bible Study. It's a good discussion guide, and would be helpful for use in a small group, or even reading one on one, but each chapter just has one Bible verse to apply (if that--quite a few have none). This isn't a bad thing, I just wanted to clarify that it's mislabeled in my opinion.

That said, if you haven't read many Christian discipleship-type books, you will probably enjoy and benefit from this clear teaching. If you are always looking (as I am) for ways to focus less on yourself and more on others, the sections on being content and serving are excellent.

You can learn more or purchase the book at the Random House website.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Great review and very helpful! Thanks.

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Good review. I appreciate your honesty, as always.