Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Scaredy Squirrel at Night

We are die-hard Scaredy Squirrel fans around here. We've enjoyed the other books about this fearful little rodent, and have taken the not-so-subtle messages about moving beyond your comfort zone in the original Scaredy Squirrel, SS Makes a Friend, and SS at the Beach (all linked to my previous reviews -- the friend one is my personal favorite).

When we received this latest Scaredy Squirrel book, Kyle (4 1/2) insisted that we read it over and over again. Then he got all all the other Scaredy Squirrel books, and we've read Scaredy Squirrel at the Beach (see review) over and over again as well these last few weeks.

In Scaredy Squirrel at Night Melanie Watt once again tackles an issue which affects young and old. Scaredy Squirrel is afraid of his bad dreams, so instead of sleeping, he does other things, like catches up on his scrapbooking.

When his horoscope says that all his dreams will come true, he sets a plan into action to foil all of his (bad) dreams. In the end, all his hard work and worrying causes him to finally get a good night's rest, and he realizes that he's much more alert, pleasant and capable after getting a good night's sleep.

The use of a horoscope is likely to trouble some parents. In the end, he puts the horoscope into the recycling bin, and says that he will rely on something more trustworthy . . . . fortune cookies (which shows a "sweet dreams" message). Even if you avoid this book because of the horoscope angle, I highly recommend that you check out Melanie Watt's Scaredy Squirrel books. They are the kind of books that appeal to older preschoolers on up to my ten-year-old (and me), since the two of us were just as excited to see what the little rodent was up to.

Amanda's Kid Pick for the month was Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Book 5), hands down. She discovered a new author this month, Caroline Cooney, and loved her books, but when I suggested that she include those as well, good ol' Harry Potter trumped it. She tore through this longest-so-far book in just over two days over Spring Break last week.

See what other children have enjoyed this month at 5 Minutes for Books Kids' Picks Carnival.

7 comments:

stephanie@{Olive Tree} said...

These books must be popular - they are all checked out at the library! :) I'll have to add them to a future list for the little girls. :)

Bluestocking said...

Interesting. I don't think the horoscope thing would bother me.

Beings in a Dream

Alicia said...

Those books look great! Never even heard of them!

Martha said...

We are just finishing the Order of the Phoenix as a read aloud for the boys. I am glad because we will at least have the next one started before the movie comes out! Amanda will like it!

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

How have I missed Scaredy Squirrel? Excepting the horoscope bit, I think those would be a hit 'round these parts!

Cynthia said...

I'm making a list as I read through posts tonight...we will definitely look for Scaredy Squirrel. And the Harry Potter books just keep getting more addictive, don't they? I had trouble putting them down when I was reading them, especially the ones toward the end of the series.

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Oh how exciting. As you know, we love Scaredy Squirrel. I predict this book will end up in our collection as well. :)