Friday, May 01, 2009

Our Read Together Results

So, how did we do reading together in April?

Not bad. Pretty good actually.

In all, we read 3 of the same books (11 Birthdays, The Hunger Games, and The Moon by Night), and The Incredible Journey (linked to my reviews).

We finished Pieces of Georgia and are now in the middle of The Invention of Hugo Cabret.

I am still pleased with the results, even though I fell short for the following reasons:

  • They were too ambitious!

  • Vacations -- Amanda's spring break fell in the middle of April, and that stalled our good progress, and then I was gone for a few days this week, but we jumped right back on the horse.

Here's what I loved and what I learned:

  • Amanda took notice that I was reading with her and interested in what she was reading. That led to her to invite me to read one of her favorite authors' new novels 11 Birthdays, which I did.

  • Due to my heightened awareness, I also "read" the Hunger Games audiobook. It's been good to be more aware and connected in this area again.

  • Reading for about 20 minutes in the morning while she was eating breakfast was "found time" for us.
I'm going to post my goals each month, and invite you to do the same if you'd like to (you can link up at the Read Together -- May post whether you participated in April or not).

Goals for May:

  • Finish Hugo Cabret.

  • Find and select another book to read together (perhaps the third in the Austin Family Chronicles series, The Young Unicorns: The Austin Family Chronicles, Book 3, since we've read the first two together (but separately).

  • Read Wings, together (but separately)

  • Say "Yes" more! One of the great results is that Amanda started asking for additional reading time -- at night or after school, and that thrills me.

  • Talk to her about what she's reading (whether I read it with her or not).

1 comment:

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

You *did* have ambitious goals, but it sounds like you did a great job. It's true that they really notice, and appreciate, this special attention and time together. Thanks again for hosting this!