Tuesday, May 19, 2009

What Kyle and I Learned This Week

There's something that I learned on the way to inadvertently teaching Kyle something new, or shall I say it's something that I remembered. I remembered that my effort to "Read Together" is worth it.

Not much that is good comes with no effort at all.

Amanda and I finished Hugo Cabret and started on The Young Unicorns by Madeleine L'Engle. We had each read the first two of the Austin Family Chronicles (separately), so I thought that this one would be a good read-aloud. This was our third day into it, and we are both enjoying it thoroughly. I am continuing the habit of using her morning breakfast and lunch-making time to read. When she came down today, she asked to watch TV, and I stood firm, reminding her how much we are both enjoying the book. She agreed, but we both learned that it's hard to slip back into bad habits without a firm goal.

Kyle had really enjoyed being read to from a chapter book, so when we finished Just Desserts, I jumped right into to Little House in the Big Woods. Boomama had asked about chapter book recommendations to read with her son, and I had suggested the first few Little House books. Amanda never loved them (as I did growing up), but we read the first two aloud when she was not-much older than Kyle, and I remember being struck then that there was an awful lot of hunting and log-cabin building and such, so we are going to give it a go.

And that brings me to what Kyle learned this week.

As we were reading today, about Pa shooting a deer and eating fresh venison, Kyle said, "Ew." I explained -- not realizing the Pandora's box I was opening -- that venison is deer meat, just like beef is cow and chicken is chicken.

"Not a real chicken?" he inquired, knowing that he must be misunderstanding me.

"Yes, a real chicken. It's the same. They take off the feathers and stuff."

"Oh."

We'll see how he reacts to the next bit of animal protein that lands on his plate. I don't think that I scarred him for life or turned him vegetarian. Only time will tell.

It reminded me that kids are always always learning, and I forget that things that seem obvious to us are not always so through the eyes of a child.

Check out what Jo-Lynne and others "Learned this Week" at Musings of a Housewife, and/or link up your own.

Subscribe to my feed.
Follow Me on Twitter @jenndon.

4 comments:

JanMary said...

Great you are reading together with your kids.

My youngest is coming to the same realization about meat, but it has yet to interfere with his appetite!

jen@odbt said...

We've been reading Harry Potter together with our 2nd grader. That's been fun. Kids' minds go from one thing to another so quickly...we haven't had to address meat yet. I still try not to think about it. Great lessons for the week.

heather said...

It cracked me up what ad popped up on my Google Reader with your blog--pork sausage. And lots of it!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Too funny! A real chicken?!

L. has been bringing me books to read lately and I've been being good and saying Yes. I'm glad he's finally coming around, even if it didn't happen during my April Read Together goals.