Tuesday, May 26, 2009

What's on my Nightstand -- May

I love long holiday weekends. I finished three books while my husband drove us to and from our camping trip in Lancaster, PA. I had already started all three of them, but there's something so satisfying about finishing a book.

So, here are my plans for this month. I'm sure that things will change -- books will cross my path that I have to read

NON-FICTION:

I'm still working on The Purpose of Boys: Helping Our Sons Find Meaning, Significance, and Direction in Their Lives by Michael Gurian, which was on my list last month, and several of you seemed to be interested in it, but I did finish Dear Mom: What Your Teenage Daughter Wants You to Know but Will Never Tell You (linked to my review).

This month I'm going to read another parenting non-fiction book (I've been enjoying them lately, and actually getting through them, not just starting them): Free-Range Kids: Giving our Children the Freedom We Had without Going Nuts with Worry by Lenore Skenazy

Maybe You'd Be So Pretty If . . .: Teaching Our Daughters to Love Their Bodies--Even When We Don't Love Our Own

FICTION:

Going to See the Elephant

Maynard and Jennica

Edited Tuesday afternoon to add some maybes -- I knew I didn't have enough fiction:

The Triumph of Deborah

Four Wives

MEMOIR:

I'm almost halfway through Bittersweet: Lessons from My Mother's Kitchen, so I'd like to finish it.

Happens Every Day: An All-Too-True Story

CHILDREN'S:

Violet Raines Almost Got Struck by Lightning

Kyle and I are halfway through reading Little House in the Big Woods aloud. It's a great book for boys -- lots of hunting, building, and butchering.

Amanda and I are a good ways into The Young Unicorns by Madeleine L'Engle, and loving it.

Maybe The Truth about Truman School

Find out what others in the blogosphere are reading at 5 Minutes for Books' What's on Your Nightstand the fourth Tuesday of every month.

12 comments:

Barbara H. said...

I should read the one about the purpose of boys since I had three of them. :-)

Lindsay said...

Looks like a great list. The purpose of Boys sounds like a great book!

Janet said...

Free Range Kids is going on my TBR list! It's a subject I've worried about -- and that book sounds perfect.

Brittanie said...

I loved the Little House on the Praire series growing up. I still have mine from childhood. :)

morninglight mama said...

Are you cracking up at Free-Range Kids? There are sarcastic comments that she's made just in the first few chapters that have made me chuckle!

Amy said...

I like parenting books, too, even if sometimes they make me feel a little too guilty. . . : )

You'd Be So Pretty If. . . sounds good.

The Free Range Kids book got a lot of publicity on a homeschooling board I frequent a few weeks ago. It sounds interesting.

Looking forward to your reviews. . .!

Alaine - Queen of Happy Endings said...

Some great parenting books there. Am going to check them out!

ibeeeg said...

I have the Dear Mom book sitting on my dresser. It was loaned out to me from Kristi of www.booksandneedlepoint.blogspot.com
I am hoping to read it this coming month. I forgot and left it off of my Nightstand post.
It does look like a quick read and am looking forward to the read.

Just Mom said...

Very interesting list - you've got a good month ahead!

Kipi said...

Lots of females here, so we loved all the Little House books, and I've just gotten started loving Madeline L'Engle. I have no idea how I missed out on her books growing up, but I plan on making up for lost time!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Looks good! I'm in the middle of three books right now, and would love to finish them...at some point!

CasualFridayEveryDay said...

I just bought My Sisters Keeper. I know it's out as a movie, but I thought I'd read the book first. I also bought the purpose of boys, thanks to you! And The Candida Bible..and like always I have my Bible, too.

Nell