Saturday, June 27, 2009

He's Got the Moves

Kyle has got rhythm in his bones. I don't know where he got it, because I can unequivocally state that it's not from his mother, who not only lacks the natural fluid ability to move, but is also inoculated with a fair dose of inhibition that would prevent her from using the moves even if she had them.

With the untimely and surprising death of Micheal Jackson, the music was all over the radio when we were in the car yesterday, and it really set Kyle's head to bobbing.

My friend recommend that we watch the videos online, so here are some of our favorites. I can't embed them (maybe because they are legit -- oh yes, even 2 legit 2 quit -- for another little blast from the past):

Black or White
(an all-star cast, a great message, and some good moves)

Bad (good dancing all the way and of course the MJ trademark "Shamon")

These earlier ones are great tunes that set Kyle's shoulders and hips and feet in motion, but the dancing doesn't really commence until the last minute or so, because of the trend in the early 80's to incorporate a pseudo-movie plot in videos:

Billie Jean
Beat It (who doesn't LOVE that opening rif(f?)
Thriller (yes, it's an 80's pseudo-movie story video, but it's THE 80's pseudo-movie video) -- the music starts around 4:30 if you want to skip to that. I also thought that it was interesting that Michael Jackson put a disclaimer on it saying that "due to his strong personal convictions" he wants to say that the film "in no way endorses a believe in the occult."

Speaking of Thriller, this scene from 13 Going on 30 is fun:



And of course, can you even talk about Micheal Jackson 80's music without thinking of Weird Al?

Fat
Eat It

5 comments:

Dad said...

You made this post without refering to your attendance at "The Michael Jackson concert at the Astrodome" in 1984? with you wonderful Father and your cousin?

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

I didn't mention it, because I wasn't there. That was my spoiled little sister.

I'm not sure why I wasn't there, but I wasn't.

You remind me that I could have mentioned that Kyle might have gotten his movin' and groovin' from his grandfather.

sister said...

Even though you called me spoiled, I'll still back you up. It was me at the concert. I do know you were not there, but can't remember why either... Probably becuase Dad didn't like taking both of us places at the same time???

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

Thanks for these videos! Just watched the Jennifer Garner one with my kids. They couldn't help dancing. Though Will wanted to know why they were wiggling their heads around like a chicken. LOL!! The child just doesn't appreciate great moves.

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

(Love the family discussion in the comments!)

My kids both have rhythm too, but in our case, they did get it from their mom. :)

I always loved Beat It, but yes, Weird Al's Eat It is permanently embedded in my brain!