Tuesday, June 23, 2009

My Nightstand -- June

I'm going to be away from home on vacation and visiting family for over 2 weeks this month, and then at the end of the month, I'll be making two additional trips -- taking Amanda to camp and picking her up. I often read more than usual on a trip, but since I'll be driving for a good bit of the trip, and keeping a pretty schedule, I'm not sure how much reading I'll do. But a girl can only hope . . . .

I've already started these books:

The Pursuit of Happyness by Chris Gardner
Start Where You Are by Chris Gardner
The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder by Rebecca Wells
Eat My Globe: One Year to Go Everywhere and Eat Everything by Simon Majumdar (almost finished with this and loving it)
Violet Raines Almost Got Struck by Lightning by Danette Hayworth

I hope to be able to get to these:

You'd Be So Pretty If . . .
The Triumph of Deborah by Eva Etzioni-Halevy
Into the Beautiful North: A Novel
Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier -- for Classics Bookclub in August
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Book 6) -- Because Amanda's dying to read it, and I want to read it first. We'll take this on our trip, and get a double bang for the book-packing buck.
A Thousand Splendid Suns -- It's loaded up on my Kindle, and I'm taking it with me on my trip, but honestly I have a feeling that it might keep falling to the bottom of the list.

Alternate List:

House of Sand and Fog -- maybe
Free Food for Millionaires -- maybe
The Genie Scheme -- a tween novel -- maybe
The Truth about Truman School -- maybe
Pretties (Uglies Trilogy, Book 2) -- maybe

Go see what others are reading around the blogosphere at 5 Minutes for Books' What's on Your Nightstand.

16 comments:

Lori said...

I have a list a mile long of books I hope to get too...I'm just taking them one at a time!

Summer is a great time for reading, isn't it?

bekahcubed said...

I love the alternate list--just too fun!

morninglight mama said...

The 'You'd be so pretty if...' book sounds interesting, and is unfortunately something I'll have to keep in mind here with my own kids. You know I'm anxious to hear what you think about 'Into the Beautiful North.' I always get inspired by your lists!

Amy said...

That food books sounds great! Can't wait to read your review!

Janet said...

I agree with morninglight mama. 'You'd be pretty if...' sounds interesting.

I'm always impressed by people that can read so many books at once! Your lists look great.

lifewithmyboys said...

Ooh I didn't know Rebecca Wells had a new book coming out, I'm looking forward to hearing how it was.

I read A Thousand Splendid Suns last year and really enjoyed it.

Great list!

Carrie said...

I'm so glad you keep mentioning Rebecca! I have every single intention of reading that and I look forward to it with much anticipation! I just keep forgetting about it at the same time. I need to walk downstairs, pick it up and lay it on top of my computer so taht I'll remember!

Barbara H. said...

I read Rebecca ages ago. I keep seeing A Thousand Splendid Suns mentioned here and there but haven;t investigated it yet.

mommablogsalot said...

Great list! I loved the Uglies trilogy. :)

Kipi said...

I have both The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns somewhere down on my TBR list, but they never seem to make it to the top. We love all the Harry Potter books...can't wait to see the movie!...and are planning on listening to at least one of them on our up-coming long road trip.

I love the idea of your "alternate list" and may try that next month!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

I keep saying I want to read A Thousand Splendid Suns, since I liked Kite Runner so much, but I keep not picking it up... wonder why that is? Something's clearly holding me back.

Lisa writes... said...

Just re-read HP & Half Blood Prince. *sigh* Loved it (though HP & Goblet of Fire is my favorite of the series, if I must name a favorite).

Susan said...

What an ambitious list! I would love to read Rebecca (saw the old movie), and the You'd Be So Pretty If ... sounds great, esp. since I have 3 girls. Thank you for some great ideas. Enjoy your trips!

Just Mom said...

I'm not the only one who hasn't finished the HP series?! I vote for moving Thousand Splendid Suns up the list - it was very good! Lots of your others sound interesting. Enjoy your travels!

dianne said...

I just did a summer reading post and mentioned that I am looking for a good autobiography or biography or memoir. I might give Chris Gardner's books a try, since I loved that movie. Great list!

Tina said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I see lots of books on your list that I would like to check out.