Friday, June 19, 2009

Sleepover

Amanda's in 5th grade, and this has been the year of the sleepover party. She's been to at least four this school-year. The mother successfully managed to get them to actually sleep by midnight or so at the first one, but the last three -- not so much.

At Amanda's well-child check-ups her doctor specifically asks about sleepovers. She believes that they should not be a common thing, because sleep deficits cause kids to get sick more easily, and they need good sleep to grow and develop properly, and sleeping doesn't generally occur at sleepovers.

Wednesday night I had a sleepover. My husband was going to be out of town, so I asked two of my friends if they wanted to come over and watch some movies and have some fun. I think that we were all taken back in time to our own junior high days. Our activities were not much different even though many (many) years have passed since our own sleepover days.

6:00pm -- Friends arrive. We compose delicious salad for us, bake frozen pizza for my kids. They eat inside, we eat out on the deck.

7:00pm -- Send my kids to the basement to watch TV and play Wii. We played "Name that Tune" as we scanned through the XM music stations on Direct TV (70's, 80's, 90's, the Blend and Love Songs). Lee watched way too much MTV growing up, and trounced us firmly on this game. We also watched the funny "literal translation" 80's videos that Dawn posted.

8:00pm -- Kyle, 5, joined our singing and dancing efforts, while Amanda, 10, cringed in embarrassment over the behavior of the old people. I don't know if you all know this, but the ONE thing that a mother is not allowed to do is dance. It's true. Try it at home with your tween.

9:00pm -- Since my kids are tucked in bed, it's time to start the movie. We watched Breakfast At Tiffany's which none of us had seen. Audrey Hepburn was gorgeous (as the iconically flighty Holly Golightly) and George Peppard was dreamy.

10:00pm -- Already starting to flag, we make coffee, eat desserts, and prepare Nicole's delicious hot dip.

11:00pm -- Confident that we can do it, we start the second movie, Mamma Mia, which is a perfect late-night chick flick, even though there was a little crying at Slipping Through My Fingers -- again. There was also lots of laughing, ogling (Pierce Brosnan is also quite dreamy), and singing.

1:30am -- We head to bed, but unfortunately Lee has gotten her second wind. So we talk. And laugh. And laugh some more.

3:00am -- Lights out for good.

6:30am -- Morning comes, and since we are moms, not tweens, we have responsibilities. Lee has to go home to help get her kids off to school, and I have to get Amanda off.

8:00am -- Nicole awakens. Even though she has no responsibilities, old age won't allow her to sleep past this time.

9:00am -- Lee returns with Kyle's best buddy, and we all have breakfast.

11:00am -- The party's over.

It was SO fun. If you haven't had a grown-up sleepover, I highly recommend it. I think that Lee and Nicole napped on Thursday. I did not, but I went to sleep at 8:30pm!

I guess it really isn't a proper sleepover without a little sleep deficit. Good thing I'm fully grown, huh?

4 comments:

Jen Rouse said...

My college friends and I have a yearly girls' weekend, and since we're cheap, this time we're all just "camping out" and one friend's house. It will be just like a middle school sleepover, I think. Awesome.

Carrie said...

"I don't know if you all know this, but the ONE thing that a mother is not allowed to do is dance. It's true."

I laughed out loud over that one! Yes, I'm sure I would have been mortified if my mother had done that when I was Amanda's age. That's hilarious.

Sounds like y'all had a blast!

morninglight mama said...

This sounds fantastic! If we had a bigger house, I'd be all over this idea! :)

Glad you and yours enjoyed the videos. *giggle*

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Sounds like a blast!