Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Swine Flu, Mr. Sandman, and Summer Blockbusters

It's been an interesting week.

The Swine Flu

On Sunday, we got a call from the district that Amanda's school was going to be closed on Monday - Wednesday, going back for their last scheduled day on Thursday, because of an increase at the school in reported flu cases (Yes, they're still in school. This week is the makeup for snow days). They can't be sure that it's the Swine Flu, because the test takes a while to come back, from what I understand, but there had been a marked increase in cases. So -- better safe than sorry, plus they hadn't been doing anything for the week before either.

Forgive my insensitivity, but it's kind of cool to be a part of an epidemic. We can say, "We remember when Amanda's school was closed back in 2009 because of the outbreak." Or not. I'm not sure how much this little blip will go down into the annals of history. I think that's because of the good job the department of health has done taking precautions such as this.

Mr. Sandman

Monday morning was thrilled not to set her alarm. I set mine a bit later. I usually wake up a bit earlier, for a number of reasons, but since Amanda wasn't going to be getting up at 6:30am, I set it for 6:00am. At 7:00am, I awoke. No alarm. No AM/PM or volume or power outtage debacle. Nope. I apparently just turned it off, or slept right through it. I can't remember it going off at all. I wouldn't call myself a morning person (because it sounds so chipper and annoying), but the truth is, I guess I am. I don't love waking up, but once I'm up, I'm wide awake and ready to go, and even on the weekends, I usually wake up naturally before 7:00am. So this was odd.

Then Kyle slept until 7:30am, which is also quite unusual (and by unusual, I mean practically unprecedented of late).

I don't know when Amanda woke up, but she likes to sleep in when she can.

Summer Blockbusters

I'm just throwing this last bit in here, because apparently we are a movie family now. I've always loved movies. I love a good story, no matter the form, and I actually enjoy most of the kids' movies too. But because of a busy schedule, and the price, we don't generally frequent the theaters.

But in the last two weeks, we've seen a LOT of movies, and since I like to hear about what's good and what's not worth wasting my time (and money) on*, I thought I'd give a report:
  1. Two weeks ago, our friends took Kyle and me to see Up! Four thumbs up. We all really enjoyed it. Honestly, the first 15 or 20 minutes was a little deep, but it even held Kyle's and William's interest (though if that bit had been at the end, they probably would have been ready to leave).
  2. Last Saturday, we were hoping to do something fun as a family, like hiking. Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate, so we decided to see Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian. There were a few d*amn's, but other than that, it was a family-friendly movie. I think that the plot was much stronger in the first one, but I did laugh aloud throughout this one.
  3. This week Monsters Vs. Aliens is showing at our town theater for $2. Since there was no school and Terry was out of town, and the kids were dying to see it, we went on Monday night. I laughed out loud many many times in this one, as did the kids.
  4. Amanda was upset (no pun intended, until now) about missing Up! so Terry mentioned that he might take her this weekend.
We'll see other movies this summer too. I feel like everyone knows about this, but inevitably someone doesn't. Most movie theater chains offer free movies one day a week at about 10:00am throughout the summer. It's worth checking into. Just look at the main site for the theaters near you (I don't think that they are in the listings). For example, here's the info page for AMC theaters (it looks like they are charging a dollar this year, which is still worth it for me).

*Speaking of previewing movies, I always check Plugged In Online for movie reviews. It gives detailed information on language, violence and thematic elements. I love that.

7 comments:

foodieplus4 said...

Up was the best movie so far this summer. And as for H1N1, my younger ones were outraged their older sister got to miss school. "How come we don't get to have swine flu at our school?!" They know not what they say.

Martha said...

We were praying for the swine flu to hit our district in the middle of May...but no luck...we went all the days we had to go. So enjoy a couple of extra days to start summer. We saw Night at the Museum yesterday and enjoyed it (I liked the first better) and we loved Monsters vs Aliens!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

I would love to see Up, but I think I'll be waiting until the DVD. Chad and C. both really liked it though.

We also had one weird sleeping-in day this week. It's VBS week, so I couldn't let it go on forever, but we all slept until 7:30. L. is sick today, so I think the sleeping-in was the beginning of the illness.

Lisa writes... said...

I wake up every morning between 5:30 and 6. No alarm whatsoever. I guess that IS pretty weird.

We too loved "Up" and "Monsters...Aliens". "Museum 2" not so much, certainly not nearly as much as the first.

Lisa writes... said...

I wake up every morning between 5:30 and 6. No alarm whatsoever. I guess that IS pretty weird.

We too loved "Up" and "Monsters...Aliens". "Museum 2" not so much, certainly not nearly as much as the first.

Lisa writes... said...

Me and my new computer are having difficulties; sorry for the double comment there! Feel free to delete! :-)

dianne said...

I am taking my nephews (8 & 10) to see UP this afternoon (they are staying at my parents this week for VBS so I thought I'd give my mom a break. I love kids' movies so I'm excited myself. Man, there are so many good movies out this summer that I want to go see!