Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Thank You Notes from Kids

I'm horrible at this particular parenting responsibility. Really I am. In my family we never wrote nor expected thank you notes for gifts, so I'm really bad about it, but I do want to train my children in this lost art.

For the first time, I feel like I handled a child's birthday thank you notes quickly, personally, and efficiently. It's been just over 2 weeks since Kyle's party, and almost all the thank you notes went out in the mail this week. Whew.


I composed each thank you note in Word. I typed up what you see. Here's the sample that he was working on when I snapped the picture (also -- GREAT idea for a birthday gift. It's from our good friend, and she offered to take the boys to the movie as the gift. Fun, memorable, and no more toys!):

Dear William,

Thanks for taking me to the Up! movie for my birthday present. It was so funny.


Then I left the whole page that would blank and spaced to the bottom.





We had discussed the sign off, because I usually wrote "Love," or "Thanks again" depending on who it was to, so I asked Kyle how to sign off on his best buddy's, and he came up with this all on his own:


Friends forever we will always be--

____________________________


You got it, he had to sign his name on the blank line, but that was all the writing I made him do. I told him to draw a picture. The picture ideally had the item in question on it, but sometimes he drew a picture of him and his friend, and that was okay too. The picture for this note is in his own words "The movie and the word Up, with four heads: William's mommy, you, me, and William."

Getting thank you notes done? Cheaply, personally, and relatively quickly? That works for me!


Want more ideas from moms who have it more together than I do? Check out Works for Me Wednesday each week at We are THAT Family.

6 comments:

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Oh, this is a very clever idea! I always struggle w/ getting thank-you notes out in a personal and timely manner, but I like this approach. Using the computer, plus minimal writing for the kid makes it a winner.

Love Kyle's sign-off, too. That's so sweet!

morninglight mama said...

That's fantastic! I've been a stickler with thank you notes as a mom, and when JAM was a bit younger, it also served the purpose of much needed fine-motor skills practice. (He was NOT a drawer/writer kind of kid!) Red likes dictating notes to me, and they are usually much longer than I can fit in a little card, so the typing it up is a great idea!

inthedailies said...

Great idea!!

foodieplus4 said...

That is so cute! I'll send you the photo from our movie outing.

Dad said...

I am impressed. LOVE

Jen Rouse said...

This is a GREAT idea. The family loves getting personal drawings from the kids anyway, and this would be such a good way to teach them the value of thank-you notes from an early age. I'm totally going to do this.